Senior Administrative Assistant
Work Days/Hours (Other than Standard)
Full-time, 37.5 HRS, generally M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. Occasional early mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays/recess periods may also be required.
Under the direction of the Assistant Manager of Member Services, this position provides high level, comprehensive administrative and clerical support for the many components of Yale Health coverage, programs and services. The S.A.A. will utilize previous experience in a fast-paced, multi-faceted customer service environment at a health plan or insurance company, a strong background in benefits administration, insurance or health care operations in order to ensure customer satisfaction and adherence to University and Yale Health policies.
The Senior Administrative Assistant will serve as a principal source of accurate information about Yale Health benefits and services via telephone or walk-in; assess the nature of the inquiry and research issues to seek resolution; perform first intake on patient complaints and work independently or with others in order to identify, interpret, analyze and research complex issues such as enrollment, benefit interpretation, patient service, billing, claim rejections, access to care and treatment and patient rights issues; process and resolve inquiries for Yale students or their parents regarding student coverage options and waivers; communicates and works closely with other University departments for information necessary to resolve any issues.
The S.A.A. will also review weekly and monthly reports for ineligible patients, Medicare and COBRA eligibility reports; participate in front desk coverage rotation in Member Services; coordinate changes and terminations; coordinate and support a group orientation program for new members; create presentations; provide administrative support for various committees and meetings; work with primary care chiefs to identify and update open PCC panels. Position will also provide support to the Medicare/retiree population by answering service questions and resolving issues.
- Oversees and coordinates administrative, program, and office activities. Establishes, selects, implements, and coordinates office procedures and systems. Serves as principal source of information to students, staff, and faculty on policies, procedures, programs, and office activities.
- Oversees, instructs, and coordinates activities of support staff. Oversees the preparation of materials for grants, contracts and budgets. Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements.
- Provides editorial support for a journal/publication. Proofreads and edits material for grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages. Communicates with authors, printers, and others concerned with published work.
- Determines administrative, facility, and equipment needs for symposia, lectures, seminars, and conferences. Assembles and arranges for necessary items. Determines sources of data. Compiles, synthesizes and manipulates data. Summarizes findings and writes reports or portions of reports.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses nature of business. Responds to requests for information and provides assistance. Screens and responds to mail.
- Formats, keyboard, proofread, and edits correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material. Reviews outgoing material for completeness, dates, and signatures. Composes substantive correspondence and written material.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Takes minutes or dictation. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Exceptional customer service orientation and the ability to serve as a role model for professional behavior. Ability to critically assess inquiries and adapt to unique situations. Works effectively with individuals who are experiencing stressful situations. Works positively and effectively with a diverse population.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability to interpret and explain terms of coverage and eligibility in a fast-paced, multi-faceted customer service environment at a health plan or insurance company, strong background in benefits administration, insurance or health care operations.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
High degree of initiative and professionalism. Exceptional organization, prioritization, time management and multi-tasking skills requiring accuracy, consistency and confidentiality. Exceptional critical thinking skills and the ability to use sound independent judgment in order to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio. Ability to accurately compose, edit and proofread correspondence utilizing exceptional grammar, punctuation and spelling. Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through tasks to completion.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Exemplary attendance, punctuality and reliability as attested by references.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.