Respiratory Care Practitioner, Pulmonary Function Lab
RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER - Pulmonary Function Lab
Shift: M-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
The selected candidate will work Pulmonary Function (PFT) Lab.
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed in adult patient populations.
- Candidate will perform following duties in the PFT lab:
- Spirometry, total lung capacity (TLC), diffusing capacity (DLCO), ABGs, Cardiopulmonary Exercise testing, Airway challenge testing, pulmonary mechanics and patient evaluations and education.
- Verify physician orders for appropriateness and accuracy. Understand pharmacological indications, dosages and response to adverse drug reactions.
- Consults with providers based on patient care assessments and in accordance to accepted protocols. Provides education to patients, families, physicians, nursing and other members of the health care team.
- Monitors response to all therapy. Documents in the patient medical record. Communicates all pertinent clinical information during patient rounds and handoff.
- Perform diagnostic cardiopulmonary procedures; inclusive of nasotracheal and artificial airway suctioning and samples, arterial blood gas punctures, pulse oximetry and EtCO2 monitoring, pulmonary function and bedside pulmonary mechanics, and EKG’s.
- Recognizes life threatening situations and initiates appropriate response, perform CPR and bag- mask ventilation
- Safe transport of critical patients within the hospital.
- Assure correct set-up, safety and function of all equipment/ supplies necessary in the provision of patient care. Inclusive of all mechanical ventilators, NIV devices and hi-flow oxygen devices.
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of all patient care procedures.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains all necessary safety and life support certifications per required increment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- PFT Experience preferred
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Must maintain annual skill requirements
- Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEU's Customer service and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work will be performed in the PFT Lab, Duke Clinic 2F
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Work requires walking, climbing and bending.
Requisition Number 401501912
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4140 RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program(Associates Degree or the equivalent) or currently enrolled in an AMA approved Respiratory Care Program, and registry eligible.
PFT experience preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
North Carolina State Licensure or North Carolina State Provisional License,Certification by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC) if graduate.Certification in Basic Life Support ( BLS),and any other applicable certifications applicable to the institution.
Auto req ID