Patient Care Technical Associate
The Interdisciplinary Pediatric Feeding Program within the Division of Pediatric Psychology, in conjunction with the Department of Pediatrics, is seeking a full time patient care technical associates for the U of M Intensive Feeding Clinic. This position will provide direct patient care under the direction of the Director of the Interdisciplinary Feeding Program and will primarily be responsible for maintaining the integrity of treatment protocols, which include conducting structured meals with children presenting with chronic food refusal as well as assisting in case preparation and organization.
- Orients patients to treatment setting.
- Assists in maintaining a safe, orderly & therapeutic environment.
- Provide direct patient care following the prescribed behavioral protocols under the supervision of the director of the behavioral feeding program.
- Accurately collects and records data based on observable patient behavior. Provides daily records of patient behaviors to supervisor for protocol development.
- Maintains up-to-date graphs, summarizing and calculating data.
- Assist with case-related duties such as protocol reviews and staff/parent training.
- Assist with preparation of session-related activities (i.e., preparing room, computers, recording equipment, meals).
- Completes daily documentation in the electronic medical records system.
- Collaborates as part of a multidisciplinary team including psychology, nutrition, speech, and medical providers.
- Provides quality patient care by maintaining knowledge and skill level related to applied behavior analysis and the symptoms and treatment of pediatric feeding disorders relevant to position responsibilities and in accordance with UMHS regulations.
- Assists with collection of clinical data for research and quality improvement activities.
- Follows unit safety procedures using safe handling techniques and approved physical management procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Education, or related field. (Special exception to this requirement may be given under narrow circumstances in which a candidate has very specific and significant training, experience and knowledge of applied behavioral analysis, implementing behavioral protocols with pediatric patients, and/or feeding disorders.)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and comfort in working with children and their families.
- Excellent attendance.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass all post-training tests regarding ABA (applied behavior analysis) principles, skill prompting, and assaultive techniques.
- Previous experience in the implementation of behavioral assessment/treatment programs with children with medical, behavioral, and/or developmental concerns is highly preferred.
- Previous training in applied behavior analysis and theoretical understanding of behavioral intervention in a clinical setting is preferred.
- Proficiency in patient care or health education typically achieved with one or more years of work in a health care setting.
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.