Coding and Billing Analyst
Under the direction and supervision of the Manager of YM Coding and Billing services or his/her designee, this position is responsible for processes to monitor the efficiency and accuracy of capturing, coding and processing all billable services for YM. Document, implement and monitor policies and operational workflows to streamline and optimize charge capture, ensuring accuracy and timeliness. Develop and monitor reports to assure compliance with established YM guidelines. Serves as a liaison and fosters collaboration among the clinical departments, revenue cycle services and compliance departments on all aspects of coding and billing, education and charge follow-up. Serves as expert resource for coders.
- Regularly reviews billing activity or specific clinical departments or sections. Provides comprehensive, detailed summary of findings (payment history, rejection analysis, frequency and status of unpaid claims, etc.). Communicates and provides regular updates to administration, physicians and coders.
- Provides advice on operational improvement to enhance efficiency of payment and overall reimbursement of clinical services.
- Develops, implements, and monitors policies and procedures to optimize provider reimbursement. Functions as a resource and educator for clinical department physicians and all appropriate staff on billing and coding issues by department.
- Develops training or educational programs and working manuals on procedural guidelines and implementation of new regulatory standards and initiates changes as contracts and regulations change.
- Collaboratively establishes policies and procedures to resolve issues around claims that are rejected, nor responded to, underpaid, etc. Provides recommendations on how to reduce rejections to improve collections.
- Researches policies of payers and communicates changes as appropriate. Maintains regular interactions and communication with third party payers.
- Leads and/or assists with the management and/or performance of ongoing reimbursement projects, including but not limited to in depth analysis of variances and tracking/managing issues with carriers.
- Performs coding audits, assesses risk and communicates findings.
- Ensures compliance with University, governmental and all third party regulations, including claim submission, coding accuracy and documentation to support billing. Performs quality assurance processing and assesses degree of risk for non-compliance with internal audit findings.
- Manages and coordinates decisions on optimizing output of subordinates and colleagues in producing information.
- May manage staff of both exempt and non-exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Health Care Administration or RN and five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Extensive knowledge of CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS codes and medical terminology. Excellent working knowledge of medical office/hospital systems, medical record management software (EPIC preferred), encoders, Outlook and Microsoft Office applications, along with business intelligence reporting tools. Working knowledge of HIPAA regulations and impacts on operations.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated technical knowledge of medical insurance billing procedures, third-party reimbursement methodologies and documentation/compliance requirements for physicians in an academic medical setting. Working knowledge of government and commercial insurance rules and regulations pertaining to correct coding initiatives.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated problem-solving ability using various investigative techniques to arrive at resolution. Ability to compile comprehensive analysis of data with complex and professional reporting of results. Ability to analyze and interpret detailed reports, develop clear conclusions and summarize findings.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to work independently and prioritize work with minimal supervision as well as part of a cross-functional team to achieve common goals. Ability to work, plan, research and conduct projects with minimal supervision. Ability to work in a stressful environment meeting timely deadlines and achieving goals.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrates a high level of integrity and innovative thinking, and actively contributes to the success of the organization. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and accountability. Superior oral and written communication skills. Demonstration of progressively responsible growth in the field.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
AAPC (CPC) certification.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.