Research Assistant, School of Medicine
Starting Salary Range: $16.10-$22.12 (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full-Time
Schedule: Working 40 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30-5pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 26-MD:JH at Howard County Hospital
Department name: 10003015-SOM Ortho Sports Medicine Division
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Research Assistant will be primarily involved in basic data management and manuscript preparation for several research projects. Screen and recruit potential study participants according to protocol's inclusion and exclusion criteria. Will work directly under the supervision of the Principal Investigator and co-investigators. (70%) In addition, will work as medical scribe. (30%)
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Research Assistant (70%)
- Conduct literature searches, and produce brief summary reports from the literature with guidance from the investigators
- Assist with data collection and data entry
- Collate and organize data for research manuscripts, prepare tables, figures, and references
- Format research manuscripts for submission to specific journals
- Perform basic data management and calculations using computerized database and spreadsheet software
- Review data for accuracy and completeness
- Assist with data cleaning and data quality review and control
- Maintain and organize study files
- Maintain confidential records of research trials.
- Effectively prioritize and work on multiple tasks with concurrent deadlines and demonstrate excellent time management skills and efficiency.
- Participate in team meetings.
Medical Scribe (30%):
- Ensure complete and accurate capture of medical information as spoken/instructed verbatim by the clinician.
- Assist the clinician in navigating the electronic health record. (At no time is the scribe performing independent clinical judgment or direct patient care.)
- Accompany clinician in all approved patient care locations. Assist clinician with mentored research projects.
- Perform literature and internet searches to provide disease prevalence data. Participate in the development of ad-hoc reports.
- Accompany clinician into patient exam areas for the purpose of accurately documenting the clinician's encounter with the patient as described by the clinician. Seek real-time clarification of all information entered into the medical record.
- List diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow-up instructions and prescriptions as mentioned by the clinician. Enter orders, including diagnostic testing and medications which are pended and require clinician approval to activate.
- Document procedures performed and described by the clinician. Invoke the organization’s approved scribe statement for each clinical note.
- Complete all scribe duties before leaving the patient care area. Maintain professional appearance and conduct at all times.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline required (i.e. human anatomy, physiology, and nursing)
Some related experience. Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Some related experience as a medical scribe, medical transcriptionist, or other related job in a medical office preferred.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
JH at Howard County Hospital