Career Specialist/Sector Manager
Career Management Center (CMC)
The Fuqua School of Business
The Sector Manager partners with the Sector Directors in the Career Management Center to plan and facilitate engagement opportunities between employers and students within assigned industry sectors. Responsibilities include maintaining day-to-day employer relationships and supporting new business development. He/she also may advise both sets of stakeholders on recruiting and industry trends of the sector. This position is an integral part of Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC) and reports to the Director of Employer Engagement and Operations. At this time, we are seeking a candidate to work with the Sector Director for Finance, and the Sector Director for Social Impact/Sustainability.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of professional work experience preferred, preferably in career services, recruiting, or customer service.
- Ability to interact effectively and build relationships with a range of constituents including graduate students, business leaders, employers, alumni, faculty, and staff at all levels.
- Self-starter willing to take initiative, seek guidance when needed, and see projects through to completion independently.
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with uncertainty and operating in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Positive attitude, creative thinker, and problem solver.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends, in support of effective program and event delivery.
- Excellent written, oral and verbal communication skills.
- Must be very comfortable learning and using technology tools including database management, Internet research, Excel, e-mail and other tools.
- Demonstrated comfort with a fast-paced environment and ability to adapt to immediate changes driven by various constituent needs.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities
Relationship management and business development
- Manage and deepen existing recruiting relationships with company contacts in person, by phone and through email.
- Develop a working knowledge of assigned sector trends, positions for which companies hire, and desired qualities in candidates.
- In collaboration with the Sector Director, understand the other organizations and people within Fuqua and Duke whose work focuses upon the assigned sector, and build relationships with those constituents. Partner and share information to better integrate careers and the job search in this sector with other learning opportunities.
- Work closely with Sector Director, other key stakeholders at Duke, and company representatives to develop and execute effective recruiting and student engagement strategies.
- Identify employer targets within the assigned sector and execute a strategy to establish relationships with targeted companies.
Qualified candidates should apply online and send your resume and cover letter to Barbara Baxter at Barbara.Baxter@duke.edu.
Requisition Number 401500182
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1061 CAREER SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in a placement or other student services function to become familiar with career counseling and placement programs. Three years of professional work experience preferred.
Auto req ID