LAN Administrator I
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OG
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10000023-IT@JH Client Technology Solutions
Personnel area: University Administration
General Position Summary:
Under general supervision, perform routine PC Set up; installation of peripheral equipment, software installation, support for software products and services, deployment of service packs, hot fixes, system updates, testing changes to the environment. Assistance with departmental specific applications and interaction with vendor application installations. Strong liaison with customers and departments. Involved with the analysis of user needs in the computing device environment (e.g., desktop, mobile devices, etc.) and recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Responsible for delivery, moving and installing computing devices and related software as well as device inventory.
- Works under guidance and direction.
- Once priorities are set, perform tasks with regular process updates.
- Participate in segments of the lifecycle of projects.
- Device management complexity is typically entry level.
- Build and maintain relationships through positive interactions.
- Demonstrates ability to provide good customer service.
- Tasks are simple in nature (i.e., working with single devices or device types, or simple software, or handling one customer at a time).
- The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position.
- Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS and DESIGN
- With direction and guidance, evaluate customer needs in the computing device environment (e.g., desktop, mobile devices, etc.) by meeting with the customer to gather information on business problems and recommend solutions for simple problems. Seek assistance for more complex problems.
- Install software utilities for computing device management such as printer setup utilities, font downloading utilities and batch files and for automated installation of software on computing devices by using established toolsets to improve total cost of ownership and customer service.
INSTALL, CONFIGURE, MAINTAIN
- Under guidance, deliver, move, and physically install all computing devices and related software including peripherals, operating systems, standard software and vendor software by following documented standards and procedures to provide equipment and service to the customers.
- Coordinate computing device life-cycle by maintaining device and software inventories, by performing preventive maintenance according to documentation and standards, and by repairing and replacing devices as needed to deliver service to the customers.
- Restore files using established procedures to ensure recovery in the event of file failure.
- Participate in disaster plans for equipment supported by attending meetings with technical team and customers to provide support in the event of a disaster.
- Participate in testing and provide results by following documentation and standards of the department to ensure stability of the environment for the customers.
- Gather information for creation and maintenance of user accounts/groups in domain/directory structure including network shared files and applications. Assist users in accessing their accounts and network resources.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems by following documentation and by using appropriate diagnostic tools to provide solutions to customer.
- Follow procedures for reported problems by using the appropriate incident management software for problem recording and resolution to provide documentation of the problem and its resolution.
- Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledgebase and skills.
- Document and communicate department and/or organizational system updates, installations, etc to appropriate staff.
- As directed, provide input toward system, end user, training or support documentation for new, revised or existing systems.
- Provide technical support in the use of computing devices, software products and operations by responding to customers as needed.
- Complete service requests as assigned by meeting published Service Level Agreements and/or agreed to delivery dates to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Work with other Technology Analysts and areas responsible for implementing strategic initiatives by meeting with them on a regular basis to ensure that releases are kept current.
- Follow up on all feedback from customers by promptly meeting with them to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Two years college course work.
- Additional experience can be substituted for education.
- Two years related experience.
- Additional education can be substituted for experience.
30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge in the assigned IT environments.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Write and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Possess sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: