Community Outreach Specialist
Starting Salary Range:
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 5200 Eastern Avenue, Suite 4200
Department name: 10003110-SOM Ped Bay Bayview Pediatric Unit
Personnel area: School of Medicine
STD Surveillance Network (SSUN) is a CDC-funded collaborative project between Johns Hopkins and the Baltimore City Health Department. SSuN is a 10-site nationwide surveillance project designed to enhance local and national routine sexually transmitted disease surveillance data, track trends in routinely reported sexually transmitted infections (STIs), primarily gonorrhea. As part of the SSuN project, BCHD conducts enhanced public health surveillance activities among a subset of individuals infected with an STI
- The candidate will be expected to sit 5 days a week at the Baltimore City Health Department and to perform field investigations for individuals infected with an STI and selected for enhanced SSuN investigations.
- Interviewing individuals who are infected with an STI or HIV infections to obtain information pertinent to informing STI prevention and control throughout Baltimore City
- Conducting field investigations (via telephone or in person) to locate, interview and provide medical referrals for treatment of individuals with positive laboratory findings for STI/HIV.
- Contacting medical or laboratory providers to confirm test results and/or treatments and other information as neede
- Data entry and QA/QC of data entered; and 5) clerical duties (i.e. filing, faxing, mailing, etc).
- The candidate will also be expected to document all work on interviews, field records, and any other applicable records in accordance with BCHD guidelines.
- This also requires maintaining confidential files, records and reports as required for compliance with various state, federal and administrative regulations (i.e., health care referrals, agency referrals, health services reports, etc.)
Prior experience with interviewing, counseling, or case management a plus but not required.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to interact sensitively, effectively, and professionally with individuals from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and educational background
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
This position requires the ownership of a working car and the ability to drive it.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: