Substance Abuse Counselor
Starting Salary Range: $33,214 - $45,637 comensurate with experience
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F 830-5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 33-MD:Johns Hopkins Bayview
Department name: 10003301-SOM Psy Bay Cornerstone
Personnel area: School of Medicine
This Substance Abuse Counselor is responsible for providing counseling and coordinating counseling activities for clients, ages 18-70.
Under the direction of the Substance Abuse Therapy Supervisor the counselor will:
- Provide rehabilitation counseling to clients with substance use disorder using Reinforcement-Based Treatment, which is an evidence-based treatment approach that integrates motivational interviewing with structured involvement in work and social activities. Develop and maintain comprehensive treatment plans based on assessments. Coordinate events consistent with treatment goals, including clinic appointments, NA/CA/AA meetings, employment appointments and recreational activities. Initiate and maintain contact with the client’s family members and/or significant other.
- Coordinate access to community resources including job training, housing, recreation, and drug-free social contacts. Enter client activity data. Develop and document clinic programming and procedures. Comply with reporting requirements of various state and local agencies. Serve as backup for other administrative duties. Will complete other duties as assigned by the Substance Abuse Therapy Supervisor.
- Bachelor degree required in Psychology, Social Work or other related field.
- Some related experience working with clients with a substance use disorder, or related populations.
- At the time of hire, qualified candidates must possess one or more of the following which are recognized by the MD Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists: Alcohol and Drug Trainee status, CSC-AD, CAC-AD, LGADC, LCADC, LGPC, LCPC, or LCSW.
- Must maintain credentials throughout employment.
- Knowledge of established criteria for substance use disorders, theoretical approaches and intervention techniques.
- Experience providing therapy, skills training or activity coordination desirable.
- Good communications skills both orally and written.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Computer experience desirable.
- Flexible hours required.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal statutes and accreditation standards regulating to substance abuse treatment desirable.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: