Stanford Management Company (SMC), the University’s investment office, is responsible for managing the University’s endowment funds, which provide critical financial support to current and future generations of students and scholars, supplying over one fifth of the University’s operating budget each year. SMC offers a friendly small collaborative work environment, while being an integral part of one of the world’s most respected universities.
This position will report to the Director of Information Technology and will be responsible for the design, deployment and maintenance of the network and computing infrastructure. The ideal candidate will have broad architecture experience, both application and infrastructure with demonstrated experience in maintaining a hybrid on-premises and cloud infrastructure. The role requires demonstrated experience in cloud computing environments, hands on technical skills, and a passion to master new technologies and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Implement and refine future state infrastructure architectures and roadmaps including architecture standards, guidelines and industry best practices.
- Build, design, deploy and maintain the implementation of Cloud solutions, e.g. Azure, AWS.
- Develop, enhance and maintain orchestration & automation of on-premises and cloud enablement tools.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware and software upgrades and resource optimization as required.
- Configure CPU, memory and disk partitions as required; maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Design, configure, implement, and maintain system security strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning with regard to systems development and integration.
- Act as project leader on large-scale computing projects in which strong technical, directional, and personal leadership is necessary; assign and oversee the work of other system administrators as needed.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with complex multi-system platforms and vendors.
- Experience coordinating multi-system and computing environments in independent computing facilities.
- Extensive experience with Windows Server infrastructure.
- Experience developing/implementing a disaster recovery plan.
- Proven ability to lead and work on large/complex system deployment projects in a team environment.
- Advanced knowledge of security trends and best practices.
- Undergraduate and/or advanced degree with a background in computing, programming or engineering.
- Prior development experience (PowerShell/VBA (required), Python (optional)).
- Prior experience with SQL (required), NoSql (optional).
- Experience with troubleshooting complex distributed environments pertaining to connectivity and application performance and monitoring tools and offering high-level strategic planning and advice to an entity that will allow for the successful adoption or migration of Cloud-based technologies or services.
- Experience with configuring software defined networking and security configurations, including security groups and ACLs.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21>40 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Exposed to high voltage electricity, noise >80dB TWA, confined spaces, hot temperatures, heavy metals.
- Extended hours and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
*A background check will be required for the final candidate.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.