Stanford University’s Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) is looking for a Financial Analyst to join our Finance & Administration team. If you like variety of work, enjoy collaborating with operators to optimize business, thrive in a dynamic-fast paced learning environment, and you would be proud working for an organization that serves future leaders of the world, this may be the opportunity for you.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. R&DE has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. R&DE comprises 1100+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and Strategic Communications.
Support the financial operations of Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries (SHA), a self-sustaining business unit that generates revenues from retail café and vending food operations, stadium concessions, catering services, and a campus hotel and Stanford Conferences (SCS), a self-sustaining business unit that generates revenues from Youth and Adult Summer Conferences and Meeting Planning and Registration Services. The Financial Analyst will work closely with Food Service and Hospitality Operators, Conference Account Managers, and Meeting Planners to provide finance and accounting support and proactively identify ways to improve their business and the bottom line. In addition, the Financial Analyst will provide occasional guidance, supervision, and mentorship of teammates, create new processes, procedures, or tools to improve operational efficiencies, and provide financial reports to Senior Management and Executive Leadership.
- Oversee the Financial Reporting Cycle for SHA and SCS
- Produce monthly variance reports and detailed monthly transactional reporting
- Generate internal financial reporting (includes weekly FLASH reporting and monthly Profit and Loss statements) for business units and conduct routine reviews with operators to identify areas to improve efficiencies and profitability
- Forecast 6 month and 9 month Year End Projections to identify risks to meet budget targets to Senior Management
- Submit Fiscal Year Budgets by coordinating inputs from Operators and Finance team, engaging Senior Management in reviews of data, and entering into Budget system
- Oversee the Financial Close Cycle for SCS and SHA (Billing and ME Journals)
- Run reports from hospitality systems (point of sale, event management, conference management, e-procurement, etc.) to book journals into the G/L
- Prepare journal entries to ensure that revenues and expenses are booked to proper accounts; ensure month end close and financial reporting is completed on time
- Manage accruals and develop a more robust process to improve accuracy
- Develop new reporting or tools in collaboration with IT or independently to enhance the automation of financial reporting and metrics
- Oversee third party vendor contracts - calculate commissions, send invoices, and make disbursements
- Review accuracy and compliance of expenses and process reimbursements of employees
- Perform quarterly balance sheet reconciliations and ensure accuracy of transactions
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations and investigate discrepancies between bank, credit card processor, and financial systems
- Participate in the selection and implementation of new systems and tools
- Support and potentially lead committees identifying and implementing organizational improvements
- Back up responsibilities will include data management and integrity of E-procurement, Point of Sales, and Conference Management systems
- Primary contact and backup for Senior Finance Manager
- Assist in additional special projects and analytics as assigned
- Experience or enthusiasm for working in the Hospitality Industry. Provide support for Residential and Dining Enterprises sponsored events and weekend Football games.
- Experience and passion for working in a Customer Service focused Industry
- Excel Macros,VBA, SQL, or additional advanced financial modeling skills
- Ability to develop and design financial and operational reporting (MS Access, Tableau, OBI, advanced MS Excel, etc.)
- Advanced Accounting skills
- Familiarity with audit or compliance
- Experiences using any of the following systems (Reserve Cloud, Revel, Kinetics, EATEC, Oracle, Tidemark)
- Perform highly analytical, complex finance and control functions; multi-dimensional and complex reconciliations and related analysis; prepare or review and approve complex transactions and higher level dollar value transactions.
- Research, and synthesize data; interpolate results from large amounts of data, identify trends in data, draw conclusions, develop solutions, present and implement recommendations, and create follow up analysis.
- Develop complex budget and forecasting scenarios, long-range planning and analyses for financial reporting and presentations; design and run ad hoc reports.
- Identify and resolve unique issues with substantial significance; recognize exceptions, and conduct in-depth analysis using advanced technical knowledge and experience. Recommend and develop solutions that may require policy changes or the development of new processes; maintain broader organizational and university perspective in decision making.
- Review, design, and implement appropriate internal control programs, research new regulations, and implement approved changes. Manage compliance program for area of responsibility, interpret internal policy and external regulations, and create and/or review complex compliance reports.
- Lead and execute unit or cross functional projects and teams, make decisions regarding projects and programs affecting operational effectiveness, policies, or processes.
- Engage in continuous critical analysis of existing systems and processes; make recommendations to achieve greater efficiencies and improve internal controls. Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform testing and analyze results.
- Lead and support unit and organization strategy and change management initiatives.
- Provide training on new financial systems. Represent organization to client group(s) and external partners; serve as subject matter expert on matters that involve complex technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Assess client and business needs, and formulate recommendations to determine approach to managing and completing processes.
- May supervise, train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and six years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning and financial systems; internet and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Advanced professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly sitting.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork.
- Occasionally stand/walk, lift/carry objects weighing 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely reach/work above shoulder.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Routine extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to school/unit sites across university.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.