Histology Tech II
Working 9am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday
Occ Summary Perform routine hist pathological tests in a clinical laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease. Work Performed
- Perform routine and special paraffin sections of surgical and autopsy tissue for microscopic examination in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Prepare equipment and reagents for processing, embedding, microtome cutting and mounting of tissue; perform routine and special staining techniques.
- Label, file,discard and maintain records of tissue samples and containers, tissue processing cassettes, final paraffin blocks and slides.
- Label and record slides of specimens received; provide specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by the pathologist.
- Obtain and log specimens from the operating rooms and other areas as required.
- Perform frozen cytostat sectioning.
- Set up equipment,instruments, reagents and apparatus for specific laboratory techniques.
- Perform various Quality Control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated competency in histological laboratory skills.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks on routine and special material.
Level Characteristics N/A
Requisition Number 401499163
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4073 HISTOLOGY TECH II
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS/BA preferred. Registered or registry eligible as Histology Technician ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology).
One year experience with BS/BA or AS/AA. No experience needed for NAACLS (National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences)Program.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Registered or registry eligible as Histology Technician ASCP
Auto req ID