Linguistic Data Consortium, Communications Coordinator
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The School of Arts and Sciences forms the foundation of the scholarly excellence that has established Penn as one of the world’s leading research universities. We teach students across all 12 Penn schools, and our academic departments span the reach from anthropology and biology to sociology and South Asian studies. http://www.sas.upenn.edu/
Reporting to the Associate Director, External Relations and with direct input from the Executive Director, plans, manages, executes and evaluates communications, membership and customer development strategies, including but not limited to the following:
- Maintain regular communications with LDC constituents, stakeholders, members, customers, former members, contributors, collaborators and sponsors. Identify new community needs and communicate these to upper management for consideration. Assist projects with internal and external communications.
- Manage, edit and curate content in all communications, including print, online, digital, electronic, social and public relations.
- Maintain LDC website content and coordinate site updates and additions, including liaison with LDC and Penn technical staff as necessary.
- Coordinate LDC conference participation, including: developing the annual schedule of worldwide conferences that are relevant to LDC; communicating those to the Associate Director, External Relations as well as all senior LDC management for selection; and working across LDC groups to maximize effective participation. Develop/maintain LDC conference presence, preparing print material, maintaining the conference kit, managing the exhibit table at selected conferences (involves some domestic and international travel) and conducting related research.
- Coordinate LDC customer development tasks, communications projects, outreach activities and market research, developing contact strategies and messaging consistent with overall objectives; identify and contact potential customers; manage related communications across all LDC platforms; coordinate with groups and individuals within and outside LDC as needed; and measure results.
- Develop the annual Marketing Plan, manage the individual projects it contains in order to reach LDC annual goals, conduct periodic meetings about the plan for the External Relations Group and measure Plan results.
- Supervise the activities of the Membership Office, including coordinating and delegating communications with members, nonmembers and licensees as appropriate.
- Supervise full-time Membership Office staff and part-time External Relations staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field plus 3-5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in developing, implementing and evaluating communications and customer development strategies and outreach activities
- Exemplary writing, oral communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex, technical concepts into accessible outputs
- Strong working knowledge of digital communications and their analytics across all platforms and channels
- Ability to utilize a variety of software programs for design and content management
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively at all levels and with diverse constituencies across academic, cultural, international, organizational and expertise boundaries
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of full-time and part-time staff, contractors and vendors
- Prior experience supervising staff
- Some domestic and international travel and evening and weekend work to attend conferences and events
- Professional level writing sample
- Experience with educational or research organizations
- Experience with Drupal content management system
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.