This position provides administrative support in the Registrar’s Office of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, specifically those tasks related to scheduling, Degree Audit and data management.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitor, review, and process student registration, including add/drops to credit courses, course changes, cancellations, interdivisional registration requests.
- Ascertain student eligibility for courses and availability of course.
- Resolve registration issues.
- Respond to student inquiries regarding admissions, financial, records and registration, and billing policies and procedures through phone, email, and in person.
- Assist with entering grades for students during peak work times, as well as processing transcripts and verifications.
- Oversee planning and coordinating of two graduation ceremonies per year.
- Record transfer credit for graduate students entering with credit from another institution as well as for graduate students who have been permitted to transfer credit.
- Monitor receipt of General Petitions, Leaves of Absence, Program Withdrawals, etc. Consult with Registrar and notify students of final decision.
- Assist Registrar with gathering updates, editing, and finalizing the yearly Student Handbook and Academic Catalog. Interact with Vice Deans, Academic Program Managers, and Department Directors regarding the development of the Student Handbook and Academic Catalog.
- Schedule department meetings and events via 25Live.
For Veterans Affairs:
- Serve as Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official, processing enrollment certifications using the online veterans VA Once certifying platform.
- Act as advisor to prospective and current military veterans, explaining benefits and VA regulations.
- Collaborate with Student Accounts and the Office of Financial Aid to process certifications, adjustments, amendments, and terminations of enrollments, including Yellow Ribbon.
- Coordinate with other JHU divisions to facilitate the certifications of students enrolled in dual and joint programs.
- Verify enrollments and enter grades in GoArmy, AI Portal, and Navy College Portal.
- Serve as liaison for Carey Business School with state and regional Veterans Affairs representatives, approving academic programs and curriculum with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Function as first point of contact for Carey Business School with the Maryland Higher Education Commission as well as the Provost’s Office to ensure VA programmatic compliance.
- Develop interdepartmental policies for handling VA related issues.
- Report annual graduation details to the VA Regional Office.
- Facilitate enrollment and resolve debt issues in a timely manner.
- Represent the Carey Business School by attending statewide and nationwide annual trainings.
- Participate on the Veterans Steering Committee and send communication to the various constituents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School Diploma required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of 4 years progressively responsible administrative experience, preferably in higher education
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Previous experience working in higher education
- Understanding of the Registration experience in an educational setting
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems, including JHU SIS and Degree Audit
- Ability to perform data entry into Student Information System
- Knowledge of current higher education registration practices and procedures
- Knowledge of FERPA policies and procedures
- Knowledge of effective, efficient and confidential electronic and paper records retention methods
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws regarding student privacy and records administration and retention
- Knowledge of Carey Business School academic degree and non-degree programs and student services
- Ability to collaborate and build strong, effective working relationships across departments, JHU divisions, and external organizations, such as the Maryland Higher Education Commission
- Ability to interact effectively with a highly diverse student body
- Ability to work independently and exercise independent and professional judgment
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet competing timeframes, prioritize work, and multitask
- Proficiency in Windows-based applications, in Microsoft Office Suite – including MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Veterans Affairs requirements and policies; ability to advise Veterans of benefits and regulations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of SIS, Degree Audit and other related JHU education support systems
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to draft original correspondence
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information