Research Assistant Professor in Physical Oceanography
Location Doha, QA
Department Name Environmental Science Center College/Department Profile
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
It has been proven that excellence in teaching and effective research are inextricably interrelated in today’s academic world, and that innovation in programs and classrooms is constantly enriched by those faculty members actively engaging in research. Like in most modern Universities around the world, one of Qatar University's strategic aims is to develop and enhance research that meets its standards of excellence. Our Office is responsible for providing administrative, secretarial, and executive support for all elements of the University's research activities. The Office also manages the University's internal research funding schemes, and all aspects (other than financial) of external grants and research agreements.
Duties & Responsibilities
Start a sustainable research program in Physical Oceanography, with multi-disciplinary approach, and work closely with colleagues and students.
- Preparation of programs in physical oceanography, integrated with other disciplines of marine sciences,and in alignment with research agenda of University, and science related to national priorities; ensure internal/external grants through submission of proposals from time to time.
- Should be able to conduct independent research, and also in collaboration with other faculty/ team members of the University; in addition to physical oceanography, should be involved in multidisciplinary research in oceanography.
- Should be able to operate the following equipment for field work: ADCPs, RCMs, WLRs, CTDs, Water and Sediment samplers and other minor equipment; these equipment should be used in field trips on board R.V. Janan and also from boats; if required, all the above equipment should be maintained properly; should be able to collect long-term time series data through mooring of current meters, tide gauges and other equipment; well-versed with data analyses and interpretation; for analyses,readily available packages or specific codes have to be written.
- Should be able to conduct numerical modelling in coastal hydrodynamics (winds, waves, currents and tides),circulation, sediment transport and coastal ecological modelling.
- Teach courses in the required field of specialization, if needed; train the students/staff in data collection,analysis and interpretation of data; help in joint supervision of UG/PG students for their projects or theses.
- Publish research papers in referred scientific journals and contribute to conferences and meetings; prepare project reports.
- Contribute to services provided by the team, and able to execute consultancy projects taken-up by the University; perform other tasks and duties that may be occasionally required in order to meet the requirements of the role and the aim of the University.
- Maintain confidentiality of information all the time.
- The topic of Ph.D. work should be in Physical Oceanography
- Excellent record of publications in referred journals, related to oceanography and marine environment; consultancyproject reports
- Proven ability to secure own research funding; projects executed
- Excellent communication skills and Leadership quality
- Arabic (valued)
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisment 31-Oct-2018