Under supervision of the Clinical Practice Manager, provide clinical support for a multi-specialty department scheduling office. Receives calls for the section, triages the calls and addresses appropriately. This is a patient focused position centered on providing excellent customer service. Experience with EPIC or electronic medical records preferred.
- Answers telephone calls and assess urgency of call. Provides assistance or directs caller to appropriate person, contacting physician/nurse directly for urgent needs. Provides assistance to other receptionists in screening patient calls.
- Provides specialized information related to section, policies, procedures, insurance and services. Assists patients with the completion of forms.
- Builds monthly provider master schedules and clinic calendars from established sources and verifies provider sessions worked. Modifies master schedules to accommodate time off, extra patients, hospital emergencies, etc. Creates patient bump lists as necessary due to last minute provider call outs.
- Schedules patient appointments and resolves scheduling conflicts. Notifies patients of changes/cancellations and prioritizes urgency of appointments for rescheduling. May schedule patients into clinical research studies.
- Receives patients and visitors. Secures names and needs and directs accordingly. Updates patient information and verifies insurance information, level of services and tracks referrals when necessary. Initiates billing process by completing patient encounter forms and accepts and processes fee for service payments.
- Books diagnostic tests and specialized appointments for patients at hospitals and other medical facilities and ensures patients are provided with necessary paperwork and specialized instructions for procedures.
- Schedules surgical procedures for patients. Coordinates available dates for surgery and scheduling of pre and post operative exams and lab work. Obtains and distributes necessary paperwork and maintains system to track completion. Coordinates surgery schedule changes as necessary.
- Schedules and coordinates departmental meetings, classes, clinics, conferences, etc.
- Utilizes computer input and retrieve data. Merges and manipulates data to generates complex reports. Compiles and maintains clinical and patient statistical data and produces summaries and reports.
- Keyboards correspondence, clinical information, reports, publicity material, educational handouts etc. Composes general written material.
- Obtains patient charts, medical records and lab reports and verifies for completeness.
- Sorts, screens and distributes incoming mail. Prioritizes and ensures completion of medical forms by clinical staff. Coordinates interdepartmental communication including distribution of medical records and reports.
- Establishes and maintains filing systems.
- Maintains inventory of office supplies and educational material.
- May oversee and instruct support staff. Ensures adequate coverage of reception desk.
- Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
Required Education and Experience
Four years of related work experience, two of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school education; or two years of related work experience and an Associate degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven excellent customer service skills working in a fast paced, medical office.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven ability to effectively and efficiently multitask and work independently.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to prioritize work effectively to give patients the highest level of attention.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong attention to detail; demonstrated abilities and skills working in a clinical environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven ability triaging phone calls in a medical office.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with EPIC is preferred.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.