The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Wharton Digital Press was established to inspire bold, insightful thinking within the global business community. Wharton Digital Press uses innovative and interactive digital technologies to help managers meet the challenges of today and tomorrow-wherever, whenever.
The World’s First Business School
JOSEPH WHARTON, FOUNDER
In 1881, American entrepreneur and industrialist Joseph Wharton established the world’s first collegiate school of business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Wharton’s pioneering vision was to produce graduates who would become ‘pillars of the state, whether in private or in public life.’ The Wharton School maintains a long tradition of educating visionary business leaders in academia, business, government, and not-for-profit organizations.
Today, Wharton has expanded the scope of this vision to become the most comprehensive source of business knowledge in the world – with over 225 faculty members, 95,000 alumni, 5,000 students across 10 academic departments, 20 research centers, and more than 9,000 executive education participants annually. https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/
Wharton Digital Press, the digital publishing arm of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, seeks an experienced Senior Editor to direct its content acquisition and publication strategy consistent with the overall business objectives and strategy for the organization, and to support efforts to build ever-broader awareness and impact for its authors and the Wharton School. At the Wharton School, you will work with world-renowned faculty, staff, and professional organizations in an innovative, leading-edge environment. We offer excellent benefits, a competitive salary, and a variety of professional development opportunities.
We are interested in an entrepreneurial, highly productive individual who will thrive as part of an agile team in an informal environment where rapid decision-making is the norm. The ideal candidate will have broad experience in journalism and/or trade book publishing; excellent writing and editing skills and experience; a strong network for acquiring new projects and helping to build awareness for products; and a maker’s orientation and willingness to take a project from an idea to a finished product. An understanding of the potential of digital publishing and genuine excitement about its future are essential.
The right candidate will be comfortable both thinking big and chasing fine details. (S)he will have a commitment to excellence and high integrity, as well as superb judgment honed by experience. We seek an individual who takes initiative and has a proven track record of successfully producing top-quality content on deadline and working collaboratively with a team to bring ideas to life quickly. (S)he will also have a willingness to learn and use new technologies and a dedication to using qualitative and quantitative feedback to improve efforts on an ongoing basis.
- Acquire books and digital products for a global business audience based on an acquisition and publications strategy you direct
- Edit book manuscripts, articles, and internal and external communications for a variety of formats and distribution channels
- Author promotional content for Wharton Digital Press’s books, blog, website, emails, press releases, social media posts, and other vehicles, drawing on SEO and keyword best practices and applying insights gleaned from data and analytics
- Oversee production of books and promotional content, as last pair of eyes to sign off before publication or distribution; work collaboratively with team to bring ideas to life quickly
- Work closely with authors and manage freelancers and key partners
- Utilize new digital publishing technologies
- Support sales, marketing, and business development efforts
A Bachelor’s degree required, and a Master’s degree preferred, with 5+ years’ experience in journalism, book publishing, or writing/communications strongly preferred. Dedication to excellence, integrity, and resilience in the face of change required. The role offers opportunities for growth. Interest in learning about the business of publishing, including sales, distribution, and business development, is a plus.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills (required)
- Experience in digital and print production (required)
- Knowledge of industry trends and solid competitive insights (required)
- Exceptional attention to detail (required)
- Exceptional organization skills (required)
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork capabilities (required)
- Ability to identify commercially viable projects within organization’s editorial mandate (required)
- Contract negotiation skills, along with understanding of standard publishing contracts and P&Ls (preferred)
- Experience with social media, both creating content and engaging (preferred)
- Experience working in Google Analytics (preferred)
- Proficient in WordPress or other CMS systems (preferred)
- Proficient in SEO and keyword optimization (preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (required: Word and Excel)
- Proficient in Adobe Suite (preferred: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- An eye for quality design and the vocabulary to talk about it (preferred)
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.