Utilities Assistant, HEW 2
Student Residences Directorate
Position Status: Casual
Position Supervisor: Residential Support Officer
Number of Positions Supervised: Directly: Nil Indirectly: Nil
Job Family Category: Operational
Clean and maintain the facilities, kitchen and dining hall and residential buildings of the Student Residence, changing linen and remaking beds as required, and report any damages and repairs required to the Office of Student Residence.
You will also assist in basic food preparation, stock storage, restocking and delivering meals and equipment as required.
You are responsible for:
- Cleaning all areas, including fixtures, fittings and equipment of Student Residence buildings as directed and in accordance with set procedures and Occupational Health and Safety policies.
- Ensuring that scheduled cleaning of staff flats, occurs as directed.
- Refilling soap dispensers, toilet paper and paper hand towels as required.
- Refilling tea and coffee making supplies within Student Residence buildings as required.
- Ensuring all cleaning is carried out hygienically using the correct chemicals and dilutions and wearing PPE.
- Performing scheduled resident room inspections to determine cleanliness, prepare paperwork and report results to the Office of Student Residence.
- Assisting in basic food preparation for residents and internal/external catering clients as directed by the Head Chef or supervisor. Undertaking stock storage including issuing and rotation, restocking of fridges and shelves and delivering/collecting meals/catering and associated equipment from the required location.
- Maintain and record the temperature logs of fridges, freezers & dishwasher.
- Washing all food preparation utensils and equipment as directed, stacking and unpacking industrial dishwasher with used crockery, cutlery and glassware from the dining hall, internal/external catering functions and other areas of the Student Residence as directed.
- Ensuring cleanliness of work areas is of a high standard in strict accordance with general safety, manufacturers and cleaning procedures and the Student Residence Food Safety Plan, reporting any maintenance and safety issues to the supervisor.
- Undertaking training on the appropriate use of equipment to perform the required duties to ensure a high standard of kitchenhand, cleaning and housekeeping services is maintained across the Student Residence facilities and residential buildings as directed.
- Maintaining a good working relationship with fellow workers and performing other duties as requested and required appropriate to this classification.
Incumbents will need to exhibit the knowledge and educational requirements, skills and experience requirements, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position.
Applicants, please provide detailed examples of how you exhibit the knowledge and education, skills and experience, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position when preparing your responses to the selection criteria. Please refer to Job Application Form for instructions on how to respond to selection criteria.
Knowledge and Education
- Knowledge of cleaning procedures, cleaning equipment and the ability to correctly identify and use chemicals.
- Completed Year 12 without work experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA).
Skills and Experience
- Carrying out cleaning duties in an effective and efficient manner to ensure team goals are achieved.
- Basic food preparation skills.
- Contributing positively to a team in order to meet deadlines with an ability to interact with others and work as a member of a team.
- Basic verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Follow safe work practices and take reasonable care of own and others health and safety.
Engages and connects
- Easy to approach and makes students and others feel comfortable.
Personal drive and integrity
- Gets on with the job and has pride in their work; approaches work with a positive attitude is open and receptive to feedback.
Shapes the future
- Reflects on own personal experiences to maximise opportunities and identify new/ different ways of improving practice.
Communicates with influence
- Cooperates with others, shares relevant information and seeks information from others as required.
Motivational and Job Fit Attributes
This position would suit someone who gains job satisfaction from:
- Diversity in the workforce.
- Collaborating and cooperating with other departments to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Continuously improving and exploring new ways to do their job successfully.
- Striving to understand and meet customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Performing clearly defined and repetitive work tasks within established procedures.
- Working within carefully documented policies, procedures and other rules for doing business.
Other job requirements
- Manual handling duties will be required to be undertaken; training will be provided.
- Working shifts on a seven day roster including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Current manual C class drivers licence.