Kitchen Hand, HEW 2
Student Residences Directorate
Position Status: Casual
Position Supervisor: Senior Catering Officer
Number of Positions Supervised: Directly: Nil Indirectly: Nil
Provide assistance to the Kitchen and Catering operations of the Student Residences including preparation of food and cleaning functions within the catering area.
You are responsible for:
- Basic food preparation procedures as instructed by a supervisor.
- Cleaning of kitchen associated areas, utensils, food storage and servery equipment as instructed.
- Following a cleaning schedule to ensure facilities are properly maintained.
- Stock storage, issuing and rotation duties instructed by a supervisor.
- Restocking fridges and shelves as instructed by a supervisor.
- Delivering meals, equipment and staff to all areas serviced, as instructed by a supervisor.
- Ensuring cleanliness of working areas to a high standard and reporting to supervisor any maintenance / safety issues.
- Maintaining personal hygiene to required industry standard and site requirements.
- Maintaining a good working relationship with fellow workers.
- Assisting in ordering, preparing, storing and issuing of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Other duties, as appropriate to this classification.
- Strictly adhering to general safety, manufacturer’s instruction and Student Residences Food Safety Plan and Cleaning Procedures.
- Maintain and record the temperature logs of fridges, freezers & dishwasher.
Incumbents will need to exhibit the knowledge and educational requirements, skills and experience requirements, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position.
Applicants, please provide detailed examples of how you exhibit the knowledge and education, skills and experience, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position when preparing your responses to the selection criteria. Please refer to Job Application Form for instructions on how to respond to selection criteria.
Knowledge and Education
- Awareness and understanding of hygiene requirements associated with working in a food service environment including knowledge of and the ability to apply occupational health and safety obligations.
- Completed Year 10 plus two to three years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of experience / education.
- Front-of-House operations knowledge and Stock Control knowledge is desirable.
- Current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA).
Skills and Experience
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively in a team-based work environment.
- Working in the hospitality industry or a genuine interest in and willingness to work in the hospitality industry including food services practices and the provision of quality customer service.
- Communicating effectively with others and responding professionally to customer related situations.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to coordinate kitchen and conference activities and meet deadlines.
- Follow safe work practices and take reasonable care of own and others health and safety.
Engages and connects
- Manages and clarifies expectations and responds quickly to changing client needs.
Personal drive and integrity
- Gets on with the job and has pride in their work; approaches work with a positive attitude is open and receptive to feedback.
Shapes the future
- Reflects on own personal experiences to maximise opportunities and identify new/ different ways of improving practice.
Communicates with influence
- Cooperates with others, shares relevant information and seeks information from others as required.
Motivational and Job Fit Attributes
This position would suit someone who gains job satisfaction from:
- Diversity in the workforce.
- Collaborating and cooperating with other departments to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Continuously improving and exploring new ways to do their job successfully.
- Striving to understand and meet customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Performing clearly defined and repetitive work tasks within established procedures.
- Working within carefully documented policies, procedures and other rules for doing business
Other job requirements
- Current Class C drivers’ licence.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Manual Handling Certificate. This position requires the incumbent to undertake some manual handling tasks associated with the duties outlined.
- Completion of Chemical Handling and Storage courses is desirable.
- The appointee will be required to work shifts on a seven day roster including early mornings, evenings and weekends.