Cook, HEW 3
Student Residences Directorate
Position Status: Casual
Position Supervisor: Senior Catering Officer
Number of Positions Supervised: Directly: 0 Indirectly: 0
Job Family Category: Operational
Provide assistance to Senior Catering Officer to deliver kitchen, catering and operations of the Student Residences.
You are responsible for:
- Supporting the production of varied menu choices and quality food at competitive prices.
- Assisting with monitoring and responding to enquiries received, either by email or phone, for catering and/or functions.
- Undertaking duties to meet relevant legislation, standards, codes and University Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Ensuring professional customer service with all internal and external clients and stakeholders at all times.
- Documenting the cost of providing catering (food, drink and wages) for each function undertaken.
- Assisting the Senior Catering Officer / Chef with preparation and display of menu items and general foods:
- prepare basic food ingredients utilising various and most appropriate methods of cooking
- select the most effective equipment for each task
- store food commodities during menu item production in the appropriate manner o ensure that sufficient quantity and quality of service items are available for meal service periods o ensure that kitchen operations are efficient and effective.
- Requisitioning, ordering and storage of kitchen/catering supplies:
- request of requirements to be made within a suitable timeframe
- record the need for items to be placed for future needs receive and check supplies against purchasing specification and delivery docket of supplier for correct quantity, size, weight, quality and freshness
- ensure maintenance of effective storage and availability of all supplies o use all equipment in correct and appropriate manner
- Assisting with the preparation of quotation forms in consultation with Senior Catering Officer and following up to ensure all relevant paperwork is prepared in relation to quotes, when required.
- Undertaking general cleaning duties as required.
Incumbents will need to exhibit the knowledge and educational requirements, skills and experience requirements, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position.
Applicants, please provide detailed examples of how you exhibit the knowledge and education, skills and experience, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position when preparing your responses to the selection criteria. Please refer to Responses to Selection Criteria for instructions on how to respond to selection criteria.
Knowledge and Education
- Completion of a Certificate IV in Cooking, or completion of Year 12, with 3 years relevant work experience, or equivalent relevant experience or combination of relevant experience and education/training.
- Detailed and demonstrated knowledge of menu planning for a broad range of catering styles and types, including bulk cooking, ala carte and dietary requirements.
- Current Responsible Management of Licensed Venues (RLMV) Certificate.
- Current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, unsupervised and be able to deliver a high level customer service for clients.
- Proven commitment to customer service including demonstrated high levels of competency in meal preparation and presentation.
- Follow safe work practices and take reasonable care of own and others health and safety.
Engages and connects
- Provides consistent, professional and quality service in line with CQUniversity objectives to students and internal and external contacts.
Personal drive and integrity
- Gets on with the job and has pride in their work; approaches work with a positive attitude is open and receptive to feedback.
Shapes the future
- Aware of the services delivered by CQUniversity and the stakeholders who access them.
Communicates with influence
- Cooperates with others, shares relevant information and seeks information from others as required.
Motivational and Job Fit Attributes
This position would suit someone who gains job satisfaction from:
- Diversity in the workforce.
- Collaborating and cooperating with other departments to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Continuously improving and exploring new ways to do their job successfully.
- Striving to understand and meet customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Being a high-involvement team member who enjoys working in a participative and empowered environment.
- Producing high-quality products and services.
Other job requirements
- Hold a C Class Drivers Licence.