Chef, HEW 4
Student Residences Directorate
Position Status: Casual
Position Supervisor: Senior Catering Officer
Number of Positions: Supervised Directly: 0 Indirectly: 0
Job Family Category: Operational
Oversee the day-to-day kitchen operations undertaken at the Student Residences, providing direction and coordination of services as required.
You are responsible for:
- Ensuring the production of varied menu choices and quality food at competitive prices.
- Undertaking trade duties to meet relevant legislation, standards, codes and University Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Providing instruction and guidance to staff including assisting with the supervision of a kitchen team.
- Providing the key liaison and first point of contact for all catering and function enquiries for Student Residences, maintaining professional dealings with all internal and external clients and stakeholders at all times.
- Monitoring and responding to all enquiries received, either by email or phone, for catering and/or functions.
- Preparing quotation forms in consultation with Senior Catering Officer and following up to ensure all relevant paperwork is prepared in relation to quotes.
- Documenting the cost of providing catering (food, drink and wages) for each function undertaken.
- Assisting with ordering of stock for kitchen and catering and operations.
- Providing technical advice to clients including identification of job requirements and options.
- Undertaking general cleaning duties as required.
Incumbents will need to exhibit the knowledge and educational requirements, skills and experience requirements, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position.
Applicants, please provide detailed examples of how you exhibit the knowledge and education, skills and experience, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position when preparing your responses to the selection criteria. Please refer to Responses to Selection Criteria for instructions on how to respond to selection criteria.
Knowledge and Education
- Qualified Chef or equivalent to 4 years’ experience.
- Detailed and demonstrated knowledge of menu planning for a broad range of catering styles and types, including bulk cooking, ala carte and dietary requirements.
- Current Responsible Management of Licensed Venues (RLMV) Certificate.
- Current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA).
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, unsupervised and be able to deliver a high level customer service for clients.
- Proven commitment to customer service including demonstrated high levels of competency in meal preparation and presentation.
- Capable of driving a motivated team to enhance the business and always improve customer experience.
- Follow safe work practices and take reasonable care of own and others health and safety.
Engages and connects
- Provides consistent, professional and quality service in line with CQUniversity objectives to students and internal and external contacts.
Personal drive and integrity
- Gets on with the job and has pride in their work; approaches work with a positive attitude is open and receptive to feedback.
Shapes the future
- Aware of the services delivered by CQUniversity and the stakeholders who access them.
Communicates with influence
- Cooperates with others, shares relevant information and seeks information from others as required.
Motivational and Job Fit Attributes
This position would suit someone who gains job satisfaction from:
- Diversity in the workforce.
- Collaborating and cooperating with other departments to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Continuously improving and exploring new ways to do their job successfully.
- Striving to understand and meet customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Being a high-involvement team member who enjoys working in a participative and empowered environment.
- Producing high-quality products and services.
Other job requirements
- Hold a C Class Drivers Licence.