Applications are invited for a 4 year position in a Research Fellowship as PhD Candidate related to the research areas covered by the research group “Text comprehension: Development, Instruction,and Multiple texts” (TextDIM) to be based at the Department of Education, University of Oslo.
The TextDIM research group investigates oral language and discourse in relation to reading literacy in both language minority and language majority students across the age span. Ongoing projects research short- and long-term effects of promoting oral language development in the preschool and early school years, as well as understanding and promoting critical reading and learning skills among secondary and post-secondary students. Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods approaches are used in this research.
Applicants must prepare a project proposal that can be positioned within one of the following thematic research areas within the TextDIM research group : “Teaching for text comprehension”, which examines ways of supporting young dual language learners’ language development and text comprehension in early childhood education, or "Multiple document literacy", which concerns students' critical reading of and learning from multiple source documents, as well as the roles of individual and contextual factors in such critical reading and learning. We are seeking a highly motivated and competent candidate who is willing and able to participate actively in the research community in the department and in the research group.
More information about research topics and projects covered by TextDIM can be found on the research group’s website: http://www.uv.uio.no/english/research/groups/textdim/index.html
More about the position
The fellowship period is 4 years, with 3 years devoted to research education. The position entails a compulsory work load of 25% that consists of teaching and supervision duties and research assistance.
The research fellow must take part in the Faculty’s approved PhD program and is expected to complete the project within the set fellowship period. The main purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree. For more information, please see our web site: http://www.uv.uio.no/english/research/phd/
- applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in education or another relevant academic field.The master’s degree (120 ECTS) must have a minimum grade B (ECTS grading scale) or equivalent.The Master’s degree must include a thesis of at least 30 ECTS
- fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- some TextDIM projects may require mastery of a Scandinavian language
In the assessment of applications, emphasis will be put on
- the proposal’s alignment with one of the research group’s projects
- the applicants’ academic and personal qualifications for completing the research training program
- personal suitability and motivation for the position
- good ability to collaborate nationally and internationally
- salary NOK 449.400 – 497.000 per annum depending on qualifications in a position as PhD Research fellow.
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter including statement of motivation and research interests
- Project description (6-8 pages) (guidelines for project descriptions)
- Completed application form for admission to the doctoral degree program
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- Certified copies of diplomas, grade transcripts and any other testimonials
- In the event of diplomas from other countries: printouts of prospectuses or similar that describe the content and framework of the courses of study on which the application is based.
- All applicants must submit their Master’s degree Diploma and transcript(s). The transcript must specify the grade achieved on the Master’s thesis.
- A complete list of publications and academic works.
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
Incomplete applications will under normal circumstances not be assessed. As a rule, interviews will be conducted as part of the appointment process.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link: “Apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
When evaluating the application, emphasis will be given to the project proposal and the applicant’s academic and personal prerequisites to carry out the project.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Research Fellowships at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The appointment may be shortened/given a more limited scope within the framework of the applicable guidelines on account of any previous employment in academic positions.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
Professor Vibeke Grøver (leader of TextDIM), tel 22 85 76 01, e-post email@example.com