Administrative Assistant, Faculty Support
Under the general direction of the F&ES Operations Manager, provide clerical and administrative support for several faculty and staff members. Serve as primary contact for faculty located in various FES buildings regarding policies, procedures and office activities.
- Format, keyboard, edit and proofread correspondence, journal reviews, manuscripts, course materials, reports, and other material. Assemble attachments and corresponding material and review for completeness prior to mailing or handout.
- Greet visitors, answer and screen telephone calls. Assess nature of business and provide assistance or refer to faculty or other appropriate individual. Represent school and faculty to visitors as necessary. Serve as a resource for obtaining information on varied requests from varied sources.
- Schedule and coordinate conferences and meetings for external and internal groups who wish to use FES facilities. Schedule use of facility, classroom and student lounge. Schedule and coordinate meetings and appointments (includes scheduling with many individuals, internationally; arranging for rooms; ordering food, etc.).
- Maintain and create spreadsheets as necessary.
- Compose written material. Gather, compile, organize and manipulate data to create reports or summaries.
- Prepare Employee Reimbursements, Check Requests, Purchase Requisitions, Request for Services, Travel Requisitions, maintenance requests and invoices to forward to Business Office for approval. Coordinate travel arrangements and detailed itineraries.
- Perform routine office support activities including photocopying, filing, creating/completing forms, opening/screening/sorting/delivering mail, ordering/maintaining supplies.
- Establish/maintain filing and records systems. Create slides or make changes to PowerPoint presentations.
- Organize and prepare course packets, using traditional and electronic methods. Order textbooks.
- Search for information in various libraries and Internet.
- Track journals through publication process. Maintain library of articles and respond to requests for reprints as necessary.
- Coordinate faculty moves.
- Ensure proper building maintenance interfacing with FES Facilities Manager and/or Yale Physical Plant as necessary to resolve problems.
- Provide backup for Faculty Support staff in other FES buildings. Deliver documents as needed.
- May pick-up administrative building operations related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serves as source of information to students, staff, faculty, and clients on policies, procedures, and office activities.
- Greets visitors. Answers and screens telephone calls. Assesses natures of business. Provides assistance or refers to appropriate individual. Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments.
- Receives and schedules client referrals. Resolves scheduling conflicts. Formats, keyboards, edits and proofreads correspondence, grants, manuscripts, reports, and other material. Assembles attachments and corresponding material.
- Reviews outgoing material for completeness, attachments, dates, and signatures. Composes general correspondence and written material.
- Gathers, compiles and records data. Creates reports and summarizes findings. Assembles and compiles material for grant, contract, and budget preparation.
- Monitors expenditures and reconciles financial statements. Coordinates travel arrangements. Establishes and maintains filing systems. Sorts screens and distributes mail. Completes forms.
- Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Photocopies material. Oversees and instructs support staff. Performs additional functions incidental to office activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Four years of related work experience, two of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or two years of related work experience and an Associate's degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear, pleasant, grammatically correct and professional manner. Ability to work collaboratively with other staff in the unit, as well as other departments. Cross cultural communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
General computer/office skills as well as proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint & Excel. Ability to extract and compile a range of data from written sources, from individuals by asking questions, or from one or several given data bases.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong administrative skills. Ability to arrange and coordinate schedules, appointments, and projects. Ability to multi-task while handling competing priorities with different deadlines. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills; Initiative; creative problem solving skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
References must indicate exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Documented track record of excellent reliability and attendance.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Interest in Environmental Education or Forestry. Prior administrative experience. Strong communications skills.
Ability to move between multiple FES buildings as needed.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.