Classified Title: Accountant I
Starting Salary Range: Mid to Upper $40's
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 10000094-General Accounting
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
The main responsibilities of the General Accounting Office include the preparation of the University’s annual audited financial statements, the University’s quarterly unaudited financial statements and the School of Medicine’s monthly financial statements. In addition, the department operates as a service function for the schools/divisions and other central functions which include; journal entry processing, cost transfer processing, survey preparation and other reporting needs. The Accountant I is responsible for working with the divisions and central functions to compile, analyze and report financial information daily, as well as, perform transactions to ensure the University is in compliance with GAAP accounting standards.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process journal entries and cost transfers between divisions within the University
- Prepare journal entries to ensure GAAP compliance
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to subledgers
- Provide customer service support to the user community
- Assist in creating and analyzing reports as needed
- Research transaction details for various users
- Review and research large transactions on a routine basis
- Prepare surveys, other reporting requests and other governmental reporting requirements
- Assist in the preparation of Jhpiego’s and the University’s Form 990 tax return
- Maintain support and documentation for various reporting needs
- Provide additional support to senior accountant and accounting manager on other ad hoc projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field is required.
- If Bachelor’s degree is in an unrelated field, two years of progressively responsible experience is required.
- Experience with various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- Experience in Advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint is preferable.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information