Medical Lab Scientist, Advanced
ROXBORO RD CLINICAL LAB
Working 8am - 6pm, Monday through Friday
General Description of the Job Class: Coordinate, and participate in, and may supervise a variety of routine complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Duties and Reponsibilities of this Level: May perform any or all of the following duties:
- Coordinate, perform and may supervise a variety of routine laboratory testing (waived and moderately complex) to include:
Sysmex XS1000i and/or XNL450 Hematology Analyzer with MOLIS WAM middleware
iSTAT1 Handheld Analyzer
Reichert Bilirubinometer Analyzer
Clinitek Advantus Urinalysis Analyzer
Alere i Flu A&B
Manual testing platforms:
Urine Qualitative HCG
Manual WBC Differential
Fecal Occult Blood
- Report patient results in a timely fashion, reviewing for accuracy and completeness. Communicate critical values immediately to providers and document per protocol.
- Perform phlebotomy on pediatric and adult patients, either by venipuncture or skin puncture. Responsible for proper patient identification, specimen labeling and collection verification. Instruct patients or other healthcare providers in collection and preservation techniques for urine, sputum, stool, scrapings or other specimens for analysis.
- Perform order entry and perform billing functions as required.
- Receive and process specimens as required including, but not limited to, centrifugation, separation of serum/plasma, and aliquoting of urines.
- Understand, comply and perform Quality Control for instrumentation and manual testing. Record in computer and/or on appropriate log.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly and “as needed” maintenance, including temperature monitoring. Record on maintenance log.
- Monitor and supervise quality control and maintenance. Take corrective action, if needed and record.
- Perform and supervise periodic water testing, eyewash maintenance/flow test, emergency lighting and alarm checks, and inspection of spill kits and fire extinguishers.
- Clean and maintain all laboratory equipment, to include centrifuges, slide strainers, microscopes, refrigerators and freezers.
- Oversee and perform interlaboratory quality control and CAP Proficiency testing; review results for completeness and accuracy. Submit results appropriately. Review results after evaluation. Follow up on outliers. Aid in preparation of Investigation Reports.
- Run new lot of hematology quality control and set targets.
- Submit hematology quality control results for peer review (ex:Sysmex Insight) as instructed.
- Perform periodic calibration or calibration verification of hematology/chemistry instrumentation.
- Evaluate laboratory data (QC, patient test results, etc) and prepare reports (ex: pending results, daily review of manual entry, critical and corrected results, etc).
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Provide technical guidance to residents, providers, nursing staff and to employees assigned to work area.
- Act as a person in charge (PIC) as well as a resource person/role model to all Offsite Laboratory staff.
- Request access for staff to any/all lab systems needed to properly perform their duties (ex: Gajema, Outlook, etc.)
- Represent laboratory management, as needed, by attending clinic or staff meetings.
- Participate in the implementation of new laboratory procedures by performing correlations and/or validations.
- Participate in various personnel actions including, but not limited to, training, performance appraisals and PTO requests.
- Monitor Time and Attendance records (Report Express) and make corrections when needed. Document appropriately on adjustment log.
- Prepare or aid in preparation of daily/weekly schedules; utilizing available resources to stay within assigned budget.
- Monitor workflow, assessment of staffing levels and report to manager as needed. Follow up to ensure work is completed.
- Participate in the collection of data and prepare monthly/quarterly reports, as directed. Submit reports to manager and/or clinic administration.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, clarify orders and communicate status.
- Act as a resource to and interact courteously with doctors, nurses, PRMO employees and other healthcare providers when answering questions or providing information (ex: test requirements, order entry or patient results, etc.).
- Follow up on and resolve patient complaints/concerns. Provide feedback to staff concerning complaints and inform manager. Document appropriately.
- Prepare for and participate in lab inspections and work with inspectors as needed.
- Perform biannual CAP Self –Inspections, identify any deficiencies and aid in correction of deficiency.
- Perform annual Safety Audit and aid in review of Chemical Hygiene plan and Site Specific Fire Safety Plan.
- Oversee, participate in and perform department training competencies for staff.
- Guide professional growth of others through role modeling, coaching and mentoring.
- Identify work culture issues raised by lab staff and forward to manager. Participate in means to improve.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and work within assigned budget; reorder as required; unpack supplies upon delivery-compare supplies received to those listed on packing slip; provide follow up for discrepancies; stock supplies. Perform goods receipt if assigned.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software, including, but not limited to, Pathnet, Softtech, SRS, Gajema and Duke at Work. Perform and submit validations.
- Participate in committees and attend meetings which improve patient safety or satisfaction, employee safety or work culture.
- Follow and oversee all Safety and Infection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations. Prepare periodic Safety Reports and forward to appropriate person.
- Act as Safety Officer and conduct periodic meetings and firedrills, ensuring all staff participates as required.
- Oversee and participate in continuing education activities and safety training; maintain records of each.
- Provide coverage/support as needed to any of the Offsite Laboratory locations.
- Resolve all samples received without orders; review and resolve patient orders in question.
- Document uncollected specimens and communicate to provider/supervisor.
- Direct specimens appropriately and perform daily tracking of specimens.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff.
- Participate in the distribution of reports to clinic staff.
- Perform review for expired tubes/supplies; remove from use.
- Daily disinfection of counters, keyboards, phones. Maintain clean and organized work area.
- Change biohazard containers when needed; prepare package for pick up.
- Assist with maintenance of retained specimens.
- Perform related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Requisition Number 401498973
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4099 MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST, ADVANCED
Job Family Level E2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting, strong communication skills –both verbal and written.
- Considerable knowledge of laboratory equipment, instrumentation and terminology used in the clinical laboratory.
- Considerable knowledge of computers and computerized lab equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling to anticipate and intervene in potential safety concerns.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balance scorecard targets.
- Ability to perform independently in resolving lab problems.
- Ability to plan and refine procedures for use in medical diagnostic laboratory testing in the assigned field of work.
- Ability to develop work assignments.
- Ability to make accurate observations and prepare written reports.
- Ability to train, orient and evaluate the job performance of personnel/students.
- Must have strong written communication skills.
- Have advanced knowledge and understanding of assigned procedures.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Biological Science or related field is required. Generalist certification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialty certification required for specialty labs.
Two years experience as a certified MLS.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationally recognized board/agency (required). Certification will vary depending on laboratory. Advanced degree (MS or higher) accepted in lieu of certification.
Auto req ID