Staff Assistant, Duke Health Development
Medical Center Development
Provide high-level administrative support and advice to the Assistant Vice President, Principal &Transformational Gifts on a wide range of issues involving complex situations of a confidential and sensitive nature. Analyze complex and often sensitive issues, identify viable options and communicate options to the Assistant Vice President, and when appropriate, implement solutions. Work independently to manage projects as assigned by the Assistant Vice President. Provide administrative management and coordination for the functions reporting to the Assistant Vice President. Maintain confidential files and information, demonstrating sound judgment when dealing with donor information and sensitive issues concerning prospects and donors. Provide administrative support, on an as-needed basis, to other areas assigned by the AVP.
Administrative – 70%
- Provide high-level support and advice to the AVP, Principal &Transformational Gifts on a wide range of assignments associated with complex problems of a highly confidential and sensitive nature. Exercise judgment and independent initiative in bringing information or issues to the attention of the AVP and follow through on implementation of decisions on behalf of the AVP.
- Independently research issues as assigned by the AVP and gather all relevant data to assist the AVP in making informed decisions. Work independently to research and analyze topics as requested by the AVP. Summarize, present information and recommendations for actions to the AVP.
- Research, coordinate,compose and provide information to the AVP for leadership and major gifts strategy and other meetings. Serve as conduit for highly sensitive/timely information, messages, actions, and direction between AVP and Duke Med Development & Alumni Affairs leadership and others as appropriate.
- Identify, anticipate, and independently resolve problems whenever possible. Manage the Assistant Vice President’s prospect list; coordinate the flow of information regarding prospect/donor information, which includes solicitor/donor assignments and communication across all Duke Health Development &Alumni Affairs fund raising programs. Interface with tact and diplomacy with offices of chancellor, deans and other leaders regarding major donor cultivation and strategy meetings, prospect visits with leaders, briefings, etc.
- Enter moves and other pertinent gift cycle/donor progress information into DADD.
- Become expert at using the database system to extract data for analytical study and reporting. Serve as chief time management point person for AVP. Maintain a global view of upcoming meetings, presentations and appointments.
- Provide daily calendar and prepare AVP for meetings and tasks.
- Anticipate and block working time for the AVP, and assist with preparation of materials,ongoing organization and tracking of project information, and readiness for meetings and presentations.
- Manage and delegate projects if necessary on behalf of the AVP. Arrange and confirm meetings, appointments and events hosted or organized by the AVP.
- Manage scheduling of numerous recurring meetings. Meet with AVP daily to prioritize requests for time and support of on-going projects. Coordinate all travel for AVP including reservations for air travel,car rental, hotel and conference registrations. Complete appropriate paperwork/online requests and reconciliation, ensuring compliance with Duke Health Development procedures and Duke University travel policies and procedures as needed. Read and evaluate all incoming correspondence, documents, and publications. Draft replies for the AVP’s signature, direct to appropriate person or handle personally.
- Keep the AVP informed of important changes affecting policies and procedures. Independently determine which items are to be forwarded to the AVP or redirected to other staff and prepare background information.
- Manage daily operations of the office of the Assistant Vice President, Principal & Transformational Gifts.
Project Management – 20%
- As assigned by the AVP, undertake unique, sensitive and confidential projects which are not appropriate for assignment to other individuals. These short- and long- term projects which can be highly sensitive and confidential in nature include but are not limited to analysis, review, writing, research, documentation, and confidential information regarding prospects and donors.
Financial - 10%
- Manage and reconcile the budget for the Principal & Transformational Gifts program; monitor expenses, produce monthly reports which identify variances against budget for assigned fund code; reconciliation of procurement card expenses;completion and submission of financial forms (employee reimbursement, AP check request, etc.) Other related duties as assigned by Assistant Vice President .
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principlesand practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondaryeducation in secretarial science or a related business field.
Knowledge generally acquired through a minimum of four years of executive assistant experience of increasing variety and/or complexity. Five years preferred.
Superior research, writing, and communications skills. .Demonstrated attention to detail and decision-making skills to respond to high-pressure situations. Demonstrated excellent time management skills to plan, manage, and coordinate executive’s activities and major functions. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCESKILLS
Requisition Number 401498040
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 476 STAFF ASST
Job Family Level 09
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondaryeducation in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires four years of related secretarial/clericalexperience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex officefunctions related to office management, communications, andbudgetary/accounting activities.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID