The System Administrator will be a member of the University IT(Administrative Systems) Group.
This position will be responsible for day to day administration of our Windows and Linux servers, Virtualization infrastructure and all supporting hardware and software systems. This is a very hands-on position. Applicants must have significant experience executing detailed project initiatives that will maintain our superb reputation of University IT Team. He or she will be providing server side infrastructure support and work closely with our software development, desktop support, help desk and other departments to insure a superior experience for our clients.
- Build, install, configure, analyze and troubleshoot operating system to achieve optimum uptime levels.
- Monitor and analyze resource usage to recommend/develop enhancements to system capabilities and performance.
- Proactively work with team members, colleagues and vendors to resolve complex technical problems in a timely manner.
- Configure and assist in the design of system and network security.
- Manage hardware, software, and utilities for installation, modification, troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments.
- Manage the ServiceNow queue - keep tickets up-to-date, assigning and re-assigning as necessary. Follow-up with clients and close tickets in a timely manner.
- Compare, evaluate, and implement new technologies, and integrate systems into the computing environment.
- Use automation, orchestration and scripting tools to manage existing and future systems.
- Maintain knowledge of new hardware, software, best practices and current trends in industry and how it may apply to the existing infrastructure.
- Attend training in order to keep skills current.
- Document systems infrastructure for users, support and consulting personnel, and developers.
- Train personnel who provide support and consulting services to users.
- Act as liaison with various departments across campus.
- Facilitate vendor relationships.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Strong knowledge and experience in administering Windows and Linux based networks.
- Hands-on experience with Windows AD directory, Group Policies, FileSharing, PowerShell and Windows Server environment is a must.
- Hands on experience with Linux shell or other scripting tools.
- Experience with deploying and maintaining VMware Vsphere infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of monitoring tools such as Nagios or similar.
- Working knowledge of iSCSI SANs and distributed files systems.
- Hands-on experience with server backup tools such as Veeam, CrashPlan or similar.
- Strong knowledge of AWS services such as EC2, S3, Storage gateway as well IaaS automation tools.
- Experience managing complex patching deployment.
- Strong understanding of IT methodology.
- Proven track record of establishing and documenting IT Processes and Procedures.
- Networking background with basic knowledge of networking equipment and understanding of firewall rules.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Demonstrated strong conceptual, logical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required plus the ability to convey complicated technical issues in an easy-to-comprehend fashion to non-technical staff.
The following qualifications are a great plus but not required
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) certification
- Experience with Redhat/CenOS Linux
- Experience with PCI and Restricted Data classifications
- Experience with Ossec monitoring
- Experience with Splunk Enterprise
- Experience with infrastructure orchestration such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform or similar
- Experience with GCP/Azure or other cloud platforms
- Experience with BigFix
- Person with passion for Customer Service and Information Technology.
- Person with strong interest in leading edge tech and track record of continuing education.
- Detail oriented, methodical, meticulous, and process-oriented person who is prepared to instill the processes in a diverse, complex environment.
- Great communicator and collaborator with strong verbal and written skills.
- Ambitious self-starter with get-it-done attitude who strives for results and performs well in small sophisticated team environment.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position.