Classified Title: Buyer
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.25 to $23.72 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 10003659-University Procurement Office
Personnel area: University Administration
Responsible for conducting transactional, routine procurement activities for the acquisition of goods or services in accordance with procurement policies, standard practices, sound business and ethical practices. Performs assignments that require basic knowledge of requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, contracts and other related documents as necessary supporting all procurement requirements for assigned internal customer group(s).
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acts as customer service representative to end users.
- Serves as the first point of contact for inquiries regarding the requisitioning process and systems to assist, advise, and resolve basic concerns.
- Reviews procurement requests for clarity, accuracy and completeness and aid in optimizing value across all expenditures by ensuring end-user compliance to preferred contracts, policies and procedures.
- Advises and trains campus personnel and outside suppliers on purchasing policies and procedures.
- May recommend updates for purchasing policies and procedures.
- Maintains and reviews computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories and collects data to determine price reasonableness for new items and accurately document findings.
- Performs purchase order, receiving monitoring and informs and assists end users on closing out existing purchase orders.
- Works with Accounts Payable and other departments to resolve delivery, suspense, quality and payment problems.
- Identifies and maintains on-line goods and services catalogs.
- Monitors and follows applicable laws and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School diploma/GED required.
- Minimum of 2, preferably 2 - 5 years’ experience in a Buyer role.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula (30 undergraduate degree credits/semester hours or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to process multiple projects, set priorities, and work independently to meet objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and organizational skills
- Strong oral, presentation, training and written communication skills
- Computer skills, including MS Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Access
- E-Procurement, SAP/R3 knowledge a plus
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- Personal Computer, telephone, fax, copier, calculator
- Strong computer skills, including MS Excel/Word/Power Point/Access; SAP R3
Any Specific Physical Requirements for the Job:
- No vigorous physical requirements.
- Must be able to move about freely in an office environment.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information