The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The Stanford Technology Ventures Program (stvp.stanford.edu) is the entrepreneurship center in Stanford’s School of Engineering, within the department of Management Science & Engineering. With a startup-like culture, STVP is a lab that creates research as well as innovative entrepreneurship education opportunities for Stanford students. Our work includes the delivery of affiliated courses, scholarly research, fellowships, and extracurricular programs, along with accelerating entrepreneurship and innovation education around the world through faculty development programs, industry collaborations and content creation on our Stanford eCorner platform (ecorner.stanford.edu).
Reporting to STVP’s Director of Editorial and Marketing, the Editor will drive the high-pace production of quality content for Stanford eCorner and STVP in written as well as multi-media formats. The popular media site, Stanford eCorner, engages entrepreneurs and educators at Stanford and around the world with content that delivers practical knowledge, evocative and informed personal perspectives as well as content experiments. The Editor will work closely with faculty, industry experts and with freelancers to conceive, develop, write and edit accessible stories based on substantive research. The Editor will be responsible for creating content for our flagship seminar series and podcast (The Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Series), curating the monthly Stanford eCorner newsletter and managing media relations.
If you are a mission-driven creative, a skilled communicator, a generative content producer, a collaborative partner in solving problems and shaping initiatives, a resourceful writer able to track down leads, then this position may be perfect for you. If you have self-awareness and ability to tie your work into the goals of the team as a whole, if you are adaptable and resilient, eager to test ideas and seize opportunities, and an ever-curious learner, then STVP may be a perfect fit for you. Working with STVP faculty and staff, you will play a vital role in helping to deliver on our mission to develop the entrepreneurial mindset in organizations and individuals around the world.
Your responsibilities include:
- Research, plan, write, and edit original/complex publications for style and substance.
- Develop and publish sensitive policy statements and publications for internal and/or external audiences.
- Ensure adherence of editorial content to guidelines and oversee the work of other editorial staff or free-lancers.
- Recommend changes and amendments to communications or publications.
- Work within deadlines and cost constraints of clients.
- Advise and collaborate with clients on editorial and publication methods.
- Communicate with writers, editors, photographers, vendors, and contractors, and review publication process.
- Serve as a resource in developing strategies that promote effective delivery of publications/editorials to target audiences.
- May assist with performance evaluation, hiring, and staff management.
- May supervise professional or support personnel.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant work experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles, terminology, procedures, and best practices of communications, public relations, and editorial content.
- Extensive experience in planning and implementing complex publications/editorial projects.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and coordinate materials from multiple resources.
- Demonstrated ability to edit complex stories for both style and substance.
- Exceptional attention to detail and thorough command of editorial and proofreading skills.
- Experience producing highly effective work within the deadline and cost constraints of clients.
- Extensive experience and understanding of job-required software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to apply ingenuity and creativity in solving complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of information release to internal and external audiences.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Experience navigating projects with multiple stakeholders
- Experince creating content for digital distribution, for example on website, as digital newsletter,
on social media
- Experience managing projects and editing the work of freelancers and/or staff
- Familiarity with data analytics tools, such as Google Analytics
- Familiarity with content management systems, such as WordPress
- Basic familiarity with content creation tools, such as the Adobe Creative Suite
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Ourculture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your editorial and content development background and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.