Geographic Information System Specialist
Welcome to Land, Buildings & Real Estate:
Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) is the operational core of Stanford University’s physical campus. LBRE constructs and maintains the Stanford campus, where advancements across the academic spectrum are made possible. Our work is founded upon the collective value of dedication, innovation, expertise, teamwork, and continuous improvement. We are committed to serving the university’s academic mission, as well as preserving and enhancing Stanford’s 8,180 acres, and pride ourselves on supporting the teaching and research of the university as “Caretakers of a Legacy."
Who We Are:
- We are Maps & Records.
- Maps & Records creates and maintains a central resource of historic, current and future land, buildings, real estate and infrastructure information for Stanford University.
- Maps & Records is a part of the department of Land, Buildings & Real Estate and serves as an information resource and mapping service for all areas of the organization.
- We also serve as a facilities information resource and mapping service to departments campus wide.
What we do:
- We provide several services in support of our mission including:
- Research services
- Online resources and associated training
- Map products
- Custom mapping, surveying and geographic information system (GIS) services
- Floor Plans and Space Data
- Utility locating required by law (Underground Service Alert)
- Plans review communication and hosting
- Standards and policy for the use of spatial information
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Data and system support for Stanford’s indirect cost recovery
- Ongoing maintenance of Stanford’s infrastructure and utilities maps
- Coordination and communication of address ID and facility ID assignments
- Shepherding the on-going development of facilities information resources
- Mapping and data support for Stanford Emergency Preparedness & Planning
- Supporting the facility design guidelines updating process
- Leading campus-wide construction logistics meetings and mapping
Who you are
You are someone who is passionate about geography, maps and knows how important and valuable it is to translate data into readable information for end users.
Sound like you so far? Great! Keep reading…
- Under the supervision of the GIS Manager in the Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE) Dept of Technology, you will perform Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related analysis and for the LBRE organization.
- You have GIS skills for technical coordination with clients to analyze mapping-related requirements and provide timely solutions.
- You are able to independently develop highly effective and functional maps to help clients.
- You work as part of a team that assists in the collection, management, and maintenance of digital spatial data pertaining to facilities and infrastructure.
- You follow data standards and you are involved with metadata development.
- You have trained clients in your current and past roles and you are comfortable with interacting with clients from different levels within an organization and with different levels of technical knowledge.
- You are comfortable managing multiple projects and require minimal supervision once you understand the requirements of the project. You always provide reports to supervisors in a proactive manner.
**Your primary responsibilities include:
- Create maps, charts, tables, graphs and graphics using GIS and related software.
- Identify attributes to be associated with mapped features and link to features as data are collected, surveyed or drafted.
- Conduct data analysis utilizing GIS tools to clarify and communicate spatial relationships and present results in a clear, appropriate, manner
- Collaborate with clients on data collection and analysis methods. Determine additional data and collection reporting requirements.
- Assist with development of GIS applications or improves existing query and analysis tools supporting clients for information retrieval, analysis and presentation.
- Software training including preparation and implementation of training materials and assisting clients with technical and data related issues.
- Lead the development of GIS map products to meet user needs.
- Prepare, provide and update maps and data sets.
- Communicate with people from different departments to gather data then identify client requirements and design, maintain or enhance online, self-service GIS applications for clients to access information and perform data analysis.
- Analyze and integrate spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports.
- Create automation scripts to process data conversion.
- Develop and maintain enterprise geodatabases. Conduct research to locate and obtain existing databases. Correct data to ensure highest degree of accuracy.
- Review and ensure that data developed by and/or obtained by staff are accurate and documented using industry adopted metadata standards.
- Create metadata, procedure documentation, training guide…etc.
- Responsible for multiple projects and priorities with crucial deadlines while dealing with a diverse group of University departments.
- Able to coordinate and execute large design projects.
- Understanding of project life cycles
- Ability to access areas that are accessible through stairs and navigate all areas of the campus terrain in order to locate and map facilities-related assets.
**Additional duties as applicable to the role
Qualifications we are looking for:
- Five years plus of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Extensive knowledge of ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Portal.
- Experience with Enterprise Geodatabase including Distributed Geodatabase, Versioning, and SQL
- Experience with web mapping applications (ESRI ArcGIS Servers and Autodesk Infrastructure Map Server)
- Experience with FME and Model Builder
- Understanding of topologic types and relationships and database design elements.
- Possess cartographic aptitude with ability to complete basic mathematical and statistical calculations.
- Experience with raster and vector editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Understanding of Web design and visual communication in the context of interactive web maps
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Knowledge of City Engine, 3D Scene, is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Earth sciences or closely related field