Life Science Research Professional
About the Department of Pathology
Comprised of extraordinary faculty and staff, our mission is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and basic understanding of human disease. We accomplish this through our clinical services, research, and training the future leaders in pathology and related fields. A major focus of clinical research in the Department continues to be the correlation of patient outcome and treatment response with the surgical pathologic diagnosis of human cancers. Everything we do is to provide the highest quality of pathology diagnostic services to the patients for whom we passionately care.
For more information about the department visit http://pathology.stanford.edu/
About the Lab
In the lab of Dr. Le Cong at Stanford (Pathology and Genetics, Stanford Cancer Institute, Stanford Neuroscience Institute), the overarching goal is to develop cutting-edge gene-editing and genomics technology to understand human diseases, thereby paving the way for precision diagnostics and therapies. We will apply the technology platforms to complex disorders, with one example being to leverage state-of-the-art single-cell CRISPR-Omics approaches to understand cancer immunology. To this end, our interdisciplinary team pioneered a combination of gene-editing and epigenetics tools, high-throughput genomics and sequencing applications in study of immune diseases and neuroscience. Recent work (with selected publications) include:
-Next-generation Gene Editing Technology
(Science 2016, Nature 2015, Cell 2015, Science 2013)
-Single-cell and Systems Biology
(Cell 2017, Cell 2016, Nature Communications 2012)
-Immunology and Diseases
(Cell 2016, Cell Reports 2016. Nature Biotechnology 2011)
Our lab has a highly innovative environment and ongoing collaborations with other laboratories at Stanford with experts in immunology, cancer biology, etc. This will be a unique opportunity to learn and grow in scientific research, biotechnology development, translational and biomedical applications.
About the Job
We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our laboratory to perform technology-driven research in a highly dynamic and exciting environment. A successful candidate will work independently and also collaborate with other members to engage in developing novel gene-editing, epigenetics, and genomics technologies and apply them to study cancer immunology and immune diseases. The candidate will apply protein engineering and fusion techniques, large-scale oligo-hybridization as well as other advanced molecular and cellular methods. The candidate will execute bench (wet lab) experiments focusing on molecular biology, next-generation sequencing, and cell culture. The candidate will also be responsible for some basic lab operations. The may also be opportunities for computational skills development, such as bioinformatics analysis, as a part of the role. This position offers a rich opportunity to engage research at the frontier of biotech fields, aiming for next stage of your career, either in academic or industry
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Bachelor’s degree life sciences or a related area.
Knowledge and experience in any of the following fields: molecular biology, cell biology, genomics, or related biology and bio-engineering fields.
Good organizational skills, lab notebook practices, and attention to detail.
Self-motivated, good communications and the ability to perform as part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctable vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.