The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The World’s First Business School
JOSEPH WHARTON, FOUNDER
In 1881, American entrepreneur and industrialist Joseph Wharton established the world’s first collegiate school of business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Wharton’s pioneering vision was to produce graduates who would become ‘pillars of the state, whether in private or in public life.’ The Wharton School maintains a long tradition of educating visionary business leaders in academia, business, government, and not-for-profit organizations.
Today, Wharton has expanded the scope of this vision to become the most comprehensive source of business knowledge in the world – with over 225 faculty members, 95,000 alumni, 5,000 students across 10 academic departments, 20 research centers, and more than 9,000 executive education participants annually. https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/
Wharton School administrators and staff rely on customized technological solutions to achieve their goals. The Solutions Developer role exists at the intersection of application development, data management, business analysis, and application integration. You will spend about 75% of your time writing custom code and/or implementing open-source code, working with data, handling third-party software solutions, and related tasks. The other 25% you will spend interfacing directly with school administrators and IT colleagues to analyze and design solutions.
Solutions Developer (Band B) Duties:
- Responsible for the custom application development, reporting, and product integration of new and existing solutions for the assigned departments. Most custom applications are developed in Python with the Django framework, and with MS SQL databases. Additionally, we build solutions on top of platforms including Salesforce and Wordpress.
- Work with assigned administrative departments to understand needs/initiatives/goals and discuss and plan solutions.
- Ensure a high level of consistency to technical, quality assurance, data integrity, and security standards.
- Provide normal business hours and occasional off-hours application support for the applications/solutions for which he/she is responsible.
Solutions Developer (Band C) Duties:
- Everything above.
- Explore new technologies and develop creative uses of existing technology.
- Participate in collaborative working groups both within Wharton and across the University.
Solutions Developer (Band B) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 1 year relevant experience in web application development and data management.
- Experience with modern web application development technologies and methodologies. Preferred technologies include Python development and the Django framework.
- Experience with relational databases, handling data and writing database queries.
- Proven interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Positive outlook and ability to work well with other people.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other team members.
- This role requires attention to detail, a high level of initiative and strong analytical skills.
- Complementary experience includes Wordpress and its plugins (eg Gravity Forms); Salesforce administration or development; middleware integration (eg Informatica); API integration; agile methodology; project management solutions (eg JIRA); and/or IT security and data privacy experience.
Solutions Developer (Band C) Qualifications:
- Everything above.
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Recent demonstrated experience working with clients to gather/analyze requirements for project solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database design and SQL querying; and experience with programming frameworks and version control.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work effectively within tight turnaround schedules required.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.