Classified Title: Research Program Assistant II
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $16.10 to $22.12 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F as needed
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001509-Information Security Institute
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidates will utilize state-of-the-art mathematical and computing tools and assist in directing student projects to advance specialized scientific research interests of Scheduling Optimization Research projects in the Information Security Institute. The main job responsibilities are to assist in the overall management of student projects such as goal-setting, technical advising and milestone adherence and to implement optimization models for a subset of the optimization projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Use advanced mathematical modeling and computing tools to formulate and evaluate optimized schedules.
- Write and document custom code in MATLAB or other general programming language to produce optimized schedules.
- Assist with managing student projects by working with the students to set goals, advise the students on technical issues, and ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Evaluate student results to present to project leadership.
- Co-author/ author publications.
- Contribute original thoughts, hypotheses, and analysis to write reports, abstracts and manuscripts.
- Direct weekly group meetings with students to report on progress and plan future activities.
- Speak at or attend conferences representing the research group as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma
- Two years related experience
- Additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
- College-level training in Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other related field
- Coursework in college-level computer science and mathematics
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend research requirements, and to execute programming, and modeling tasks to facilitate computational research studies.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid planning and organizational skills, ability to prioritize work independently.
- Sound working knowledge of MATLAB or other general programming language, and decision modeling and optimization software are desirable.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information