Classified Title: Payroll Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OF
Starting Salary Range: $19.62 to $27.00 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001346-Dean Office of
Personnel area: School of Arts & Sciences
Purpose of Position:
This position is responsible for administering the faculty/staff/student payroll for the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering, including full-time, part-time, limited and casual positions. This position reports to the KSAS/WSE Director of Human Resources.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Significant knowledge of and experience administering payrolls.
- Knowledge of paper and electronic records administration, systems development and security, including file content management and records retention.
- Strong working knowledge of federal/state regulations regarding I-9, taxes, disability, student employment, FLSA, FMLA, and independent contractors.
- Excellent organizational skills; highly detail oriented.
- Strong analytical skills, including intermediate/advanced experience with MSExcel and MSAccess.
- Ability to research, organize, analyze and summarize payroll data for analytical projects.
- Ability to identify and implement systems and process changes and enhancements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to draft original correspondence and reports.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-service skills.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Requires 3 years of progressively responsible payroll experience.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- 5 years of progressively responsible payroll experience preferred.
- Payroll experience in a college/university setting strongly preferred.
- Experience with electronic payroll systems, specifically SAP strongly preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Administers the full-time, part-time, limited and casual faculty/staff/student payrolls, including all documentation, processing, maintaining, and reporting.
- Serves as payroll transaction initiator or approver, as appropriate.
- Serves as payroll consultant to dept administrators, supporting the payroll of student workers by ensuring hours are appropriately tracked and reported, and all federal/state regulations followed.
- Provides payroll support to all KSAS/WSE employees.
- Anticipates potential payroll issues and questions and takes pro-active action to prevent development of problems or resolve problems.
- Maintains payroll data information systems and related documentation.
- Audits and reconciles all payroll actions.
- Administers the Family Medical Leave Act, JHU Leave of Absence policies, and Short/Long Term disability as it relates to the payroll.
- Collaborates with KSAS/WSE financial offices regarding employee overpayment issues.
- Administers the e210 timekeeping system as appropriate, pro-actively ensuring information is up-dated to permit appropriate manager access and records approval.
- Determines appropriate leave usage and codes and up-dates staff time keeping system to reflect correct use of accrued sick or vacation, short term disability and/or leave without pay for all staff on family medical or other leaves of absence.
- Maintains confidentiality of payroll/personnel information.
- Analyzes actual payroll expenditures against current budget.
- Oversees the payroll distribution and financial reconciliation process for all Payrolls, including reconciliation with actual contracts.
- Identifies any inconsistencies, potential problems, conducts appropriate research and follows-up on any problems, including contacting and working with faculty and staff regarding overpayment issues.
- Develops, manipulates and structures financial reports for financial analysis, forecasting, trending and results analysis, as it relates to payroll expenditures.
- Assists the Director of HR in various projects that have a payroll component.
Payroll Systems Development and Management
- Develops and documents standard operating procedures for the payroll department.
- Analyzes payroll processes to identify areas for process improvements and streamlining.
- Develops efficient electronic and paper record keeping systems to track a significantly high volume of electronic and paper payroll transactions ensuring security of information.
- Works with Director of HR to identify and develop procedures to allow seamless new hire/termination processing, staff/faculty changes, and on any special projects impacting payroll such as organizational restructure, large scale special hiring projects, etc.
Measures for Duties & Responsibilities:
Examples of Measures for Performance Management
- Expectations are clear, well communicated, and relate to the goals and objectives of the department or unit.
- Staff receive frequent, constructive feedback, including interim evaluations as appropriate.
- Staff have the necessary knowledge and skills to accomplish goals.
- The requirements of the performance planning and evaluation system are met and evaluations are completed by established deadlines with proper documentation.
- Performance issues are addressed and documented as they occur.
- Safety issues are reviewed and communicated to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absences.
- Processes payroll without error.
- Prepares and enters data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Creates and updates database records with minimal errors.
- Effectively resolves payroll issues in a timely fashion.
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Maintains timely, accurate and organized records.
- Ensures and maintains confidentiality of all sensitive information.
- Completes tasks accurately and according to established deadlines.
- Provides timely and accurate analysis to support the Office leadership’s decision making.
- Provides timely responses to technical and data related questions.
Payroll Systems Development and Management
- Operating manuals are kept accurate and up-to-date.
- Builds effective working partnership within the School and with Human Resources/Payroll, Benefits, and other Shared Services and Support Organizations across the University.
- Performs duties in a timely and professional manner.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information