Research Technician II, Lab Animal Resources
Performs a variety of technical duties involved in conducting standardized tests, experiments, and determinations in support of clinical and research-oriented activities at Duke University. The successful individual plays an integral role in the development and characterization of genetically modified animal models to be used in basic research. The individual will learn a wide array of new techniques, including cutting edge technologies such as CRISPR to assist a growing team and collaborative work environment with the Rodent Genetic Engineering Services Team.
- Perform Molecular Biology techniques, including plasmid DNA purification, gel electrophoresis, DNA fragment isolation, cloning, DNA restriction mapping, PCR, and sequence analysis.
- RNA synthesis and purification
- In-vitro functional analysis of CRISPR reagents.
- Work with mice/mouse animal husbandry: help set up breeding procedures & care for surgery patients, administer hormones for superovulation, monitor cages, record newborn data, keep track of animal usage.
- Harvest and culture of mouse embryos.
- PCR screening of ES targeted clones.
- Interact with customers.
- Help with animal transfer.
- Confer on a daily basis with supervisor to review work assignments and interpret process results.
- Maintain accurate records of processes during all phases of model development.
- Preparation of bacterial media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- General laboratory maintenance.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Work requires some weekend & holiday hours.
Skills & Preferences:
Experience with recombinant DNA technologies for designing and constructing plasmid vectors. Cell culture experience and sterile technique desired. Knowledge and use of Microsoft Excel. Experience with DNA analysis software (e.g. VectorNTI, Lasergene, Sequencher). Good organization and communication skills. Over two years of relevant laboratory experience is desired.
Requisition Number 401497682
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID