Medical Lab Scientist
Perform a variety of routine and complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Job duties are dependent on the laboratory and may be composed of a combination of the following duties and responsibilities related to the specialization. Tasks are performed according to written procedures and policies with careful monitoring of quality control and quality assurance practices.
- Perform a variety of tests in clinical laboratories using standard Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. required. techniques. techniques and equipment; perform related duties in the laboratory to include specimen handling, using manual and automatic equipment to test specimens, and perform and report analytical tests.
- Operate manual or computerized instrumentation.
- Calibrate and maintain instrumentation according to standard operating procedures.
- Process patient samples for testing using appropriate identification techniques and written procedures to ensure quality material for testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of assay problems as directed by senior staff.
- Communicate problems/issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory tests and participate in the preparation for lab inspections.
- Review lab inspection documents and procedures to maintain knowledge.
- Bring any non- compliance issues to the attention of upper level staff.
- Perform proficiency testing as directed to maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Document quality control and quality assurance results.
- Notify upper level personnel of instrument malfunctions or unusual or unexpected data or results.
- Review written procedures and policies for accuracy and submit changes to manager or designee.
- Understand, comply, and perform with all necessary safety procedures.
- Maintain compliance with safety training.
- Report all safety incidents within 24 hours.
- Attend all laboratory meetings, safety and compliance training as Comply with competency testing procedures for the laboratory staff.
- Train new staff. Serve as a resource person/role model, as per guidelines determined by laboratory management.
- Comply with laboratory training programs.
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees.
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balanced scorecard targets and support DUHS values.
- Consistently cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers to ensure effective workflow.
Knowledge,Skills and Abilities
Promotion to this level is dependent upon successful completion of leadership activities within the Clinical Ladder. Requires annual maintenance.
MT, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Med Lab Scientist, Medical Technologist, ASCP, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, HTL
Requisition Number 401495321
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4099 MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST, ADVANCED
Job Family Level E2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences,Biological Science or related field is required. Generalistcertification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialtycertification required for specialty labs.
Two years experience as a certified MLS.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationally recognizedboard/agency (required). Certification will vary depending onlaboratory. Advanced degree (MS or higher) accepted in lieu ofcertification.
Auto req ID