Classified Title: Budget Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.25 to $23.72 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001352-Biology
Personnel area: School of Arts & Sciences
Responsible for developing and executing annual budget; handling general accounting functions for revenue and expense budgets; researching new educational markets/programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and manage expense and revenue budgets
- Run monthly budget reports from SAP
- Develop procedures and standards for analyzing financial positions, operation procedures and goals, cost projections and purchasing alternatives
- Track and reconcile budget reports
- Monitor spending against approved budget
- Monitors budgets and reconciles monthly to ensure accurate expenditure of funds
- Investigate and resolve problems related to set up and invoice processing
- Provide up to date expenditure and balance information
- Prepare for and attend regular finance staff meetings
- Assist in development and maintenance of budget monitoring systems by setting up electronic and paper files, recommending and following work flow, and suggesting process improvements
- Submit revenue deposits and transfers
- Run reports to verify deposits were made to correct accounts
Purchasing and Accounts Payable
- Complete departmental purchases,
- Track documents from creation to payment and trouble shoot any problems that may occur
- Collect documents for 42 Purchasing card holders weekly
- Assist in the review/ approval of expenses on a monthly basis for approximately 42 Purchasing card holders to ensure all charges have been reviewed and approved before monthly deadline
- Approve petty cash reimbursement vouchers
- Process all incoming invoices, purchase orders, expense reports, reimbursements and travel advance requests
- Order office supplies
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Three years of related administrative and/or budget experience required.
- Related coursework at the college level may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or mathematics
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to learn and frequently use SAP, ISIS and other software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel and Word)
- Ability to work efficiently with numbers and details
- Strong organizational, administrative, problem-solving and time-management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information