Medical Lab Scientist
General Description of the Job Class:
Perform a variety of routine and complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level:
May perform any or all of the following duties:
- Coordinate, perform and may supervise a variety of routine laboratory testing (waived and moderately complex) to include:
Sysmex XS1000i and/or XNL450 Hematology Analyzer with MOLIS WAM middleware
iSTAT1 Handheld Analyzer
Reichert Bilirubinometer Analyzer
Clinitek Advantus Urinalysis Analyzer
Alere I Flu A&B
Manual testing platforms:
Urine Qualitative HCG
Manual WBC Differential
Fecal Occult Blood
- Report patient results in a timely fashion, reviewing for accuracy and completeness. Communicate critical values immediately to providers and document per protocol.
- Perform phlebotomy on pediatric and adult patients, either by venipuncture or skin puncture. Responsible for proper patient identification, specimen labeling and collection verification. Instruct patients or other healthcare providers in collection and preservation techniques for urine, sputum, stool, scrapings or other specimens for analysis.
- Perform order entry and perform billing functions as required.
- Receive and process specimens as required including, but not limited to, centrifugation, separation of serum/plasma, and aliquoting of urines.
- Understand, comply and perform Quality Control for instrumentation and manual testing. Record in computer and/or on appropriate log.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly and “as needed” maintenance, including temperature monitoring. Record on maintenance log.
- Review quality control and maintenance. Take corrective action, if needed and record. Notify LTIII or manager.
- Perform periodic water testing, eyewash maintenance/flow test, emergency lighting and alarm checks, and inspection of spill kits and fire extinguishers.
- Clean and maintain all laboratory equipment, to include centrifuges, slide strainers, microscopes, refrigerators and freezers.
- Perform interlaboratory quality control and CAP Proficiency testing; review results for completeness and accuracy. Submit results to Analytical Specialist, LTIII or manager.
- Run new lot of hematology quality control and set targets.
- Submit hematology quality control results for peer review (ex:Sysmex Insight) as instructed.
- Perform periodic calibration or calibration verification of hematology/chemistry instrumentation.
- Evaluate laboratory data (QC, patient test results, etc) and prepare reports (ex: pending results, daily review of manual entry, critical and corrected results, etc).
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Provide technical guidance to residents, providers, nursing staff and to employees assigned to work area.
- Act as a person in charge (PIC) as well as a resource person/role model to other laboratory staff.
- Monitor workflow, assessment of staffing levels and report to LTIII or manager as needed. Follow up to ensure work is completed.
- Resolve all samples received without orders; review and resolve patient orders in question.
- Document uncollected specimens and communicate to provider/supervisor.
- Direct specimens appropriately and perform daily tracking of specimens.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff.
- Participate in the distribution of reports to clinic staff.
- Perform review for expired tubes/supplies; remove from use.
- Daily disinfection of counters, keyboards, phones. Maintain clean and organized work area.
- Change biohazard containers when needed; prepare package for pick up.
- Assist with maintenance of retained specimens.
- Assist LTIII or manager in collection of data for preparation of monthly/quarterly reports, as directed.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, clarify orders and communicate status.
- Interact courteously with doctors, nurses, PRMO employees and other healthcare providers when answering questions or providing information (ex: test requirements, order entry or patient results, etc.)
- Participate in lab inspections and work with inspectors as needed.
- Participate in and perform department training competencies.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; reorder as required; unpack supplies upon delivery-compare supplies received to those listed on packing slip; forward paperwork to appropriate person and alert them of discrepancies; stock supplies. Perform goods receipt if assigned.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software, including, but not limited to, Pathnet, Softtech, SRS, Gajema, and Duke at Work. Perform validation as requested.
- Participate in committees and attend meetings which improve patient safety or satisfaction, employee safety or work culture.
- Follow all Safety and Infection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Participate in continuing education activities; maintain safety training; maintain records of each.
- Provide coverage/support as needed to any of the Offsite Laboratory locations.
- Perform related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting, strong communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Working knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems is helpful.
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balance scorecard targets.
- Ability to perform independently in resolving lab problems.
- Have basic knowledge and understanding of assigned procedures.
Requisition Number 401496357
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 4266 MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences,Biological Science or related field is required. Generalistcertification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialtycertification required for specialty labs.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Registry eligible. Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationallyrecognized board/agency (required within 18 months of hire).Certification will vary depending on laboratory. Advanced degree (MS orhigher) accepted in lieu of certification.
Auto req ID