Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ethics and Climate Change
The University Center for Human Values (UCHV) and the Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI) at Princeton University invite applications for a postdoctoral research associate or more senior position working at the intersection of ethics and global change to contribute to the Climate Futures Initiative in Science, Values, and Policy (CFI) - a jointly supported research program. Our aim is to support a scholar whose research agenda focuses on the ethical dimensions of climate change, informed by knowledge of climate science and policy. Applicants trained in moral and political philosophy, political theory, normative economics, and related areas are encouraged to apply.
The incumbent will be expected to be an active contributor to CFI and, in concert with the program's faculty leadership and steering committee, will play a central role in planning the group's activities.
He/she will be encouraged to participate in the UCHV and PEI communities and will have responsibility for contributing the equivalent of one course each year to the undergraduate or graduate programs of the Institute or University Center. This contribution may be fulfilled by teaching a course on a topic related to the ethical issues of global change, subject to the needs of the Institute and University Center, sufficient enrollment and approval by the Dean of the Faculty, or other forms of service as suggested by the Institute or University Center.
For more information on the Climate Futures Initiative, see http://scholar.princeton.edu/cfi/home.
To be eligible, an applicant must have completed his/her Ph.D. The applicant's dissertation need not be specifically in the ethics of climate change, but persons applying to this position will be expected to demonstrate relevant background and commitment to working on a research project in the focal area during their time at Princeton.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of previous accomplishments, the promise of the proposed research in ethics, climate science, and policy, and the likelihood that the project will be enhanced by being carried out in an interdisciplinary environment. The capacity to contribute to the University's teaching program may also be taken into account.
Term of Appointment
The term of appointment is one year, normally beginning September 1, 2019, with the expectation of renewal for an additional year contingent upon satisfactory performance. The postdoctoral researcher is expected to be in residence for the duration of his/her appointment.
This is a full-time position. As such, the individual accepting this position may not be employed by another institution during the term of his/her appointment at Princeton.
How to Apply:
Applications for this position must be submitted online at https://www.princeton.edu/acad-positions/position/8921 and include the following materials:
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A research proposal (not to exceed 1,500 words) conforming to the expectations stated above. Please identify a statement of research plans and its connection to the focal area described for this position. Also, please indicate a title for the research project at the beginning of the proposal;
- A scholarly paper or dissertation chapter (not to exceed 12,000 words) representative of your scholarly achievement or potential; and
- Contact information for two referees, each of whom will be asked to comment specifically on your qualifications for the proposed research project. Referees will be contacted directly by email with instructions for uploading letters of reference.
All materials must be submitted online by April 3, 2019, 11:59 P.M. EST. We cannot accept application materials by any other method. Letters of reference are to be submitted by end of business day on April 5, 2019.
Decisions will be announced by June 1, 2019.
This position is subject to the University's background check policy.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Connecticut
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Postdocs jobs in Connecticut
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Connecticut
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Associate jobs in Connecticut