Research Administration Specialist
Vice Chair Research
Provide support to customers by facilitating pre- and post-award processes for both the departments and the central areas. Perform basic reconciliation of assigned project budgets, prepare basic budget reports for review by PI and supervisors, and prepare adjustments and corrections in assigned project budgets for further review and approval in order to meet project goals and federal requirements. May process invoices and provide Principal Investigator(s) with daily monitoring of grants and contracts to ensure expenses are being paid according to grants and contract(s) protocols.
- Assist principal investigators in budget preparation, budget revisions, budget reconciliation, or time extensions as needed. Inform PI and/or supervisor of any errors that arise in the reconciliation of monthly budget reports. Identify the need for cost transfers from budget reconciliation.
- Collect and compile information for grant proposal.
- SPS data entry.
- Provides technical and administrative assistance during the negotiations, creation, and administration of grants and contracts.
- Prepare certain proposal elements (biosketches and facilities & resources).
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable regulations, policies, and protocols.
- Process effort allocation appropriately for individuals compensated whole or in part from federal awards
- Implement awarded grant/contract budgets in university budgeting and accounting system.
- Monitor daily grant/contract project activities. Coordinates reporting requirements.
- Monitor proposal status and advise PI on requirements and deadlines associated with research protocols. Monitor reporting and compliance timelines for new awards. Assist investigators in preparing necessary documentation for site visits.
- Reconcile financial information on Sponsor's reports to University general ledger, reviewing financial transactions posted to general ledger and other documents for compliance with Sponsor's terms and conditions and University's policies and procedures.
- For industry funded projects, support the Revenue Management process
- Create and send invoices to sponsor as appropriate for negotiated fees and procedures, as dictated by the grant or contract.
- Analyze indirect costs charged to sponsored project, make appropriate calculations, and process journal entries to correct indirect costs.
- Process JVs for internal SBR Fees or other such transactions as needed.
- Assist investigators in processing renewal applications for existing protocols.
- Prepare various financial reports as required by the Sponsor reflecting compliance with the Sponsor's terms and conditions, prepare adjusting journal entries for unallowable expenses, including over expenditures.
- Facilitate required financial transactions for grants and contracts (as necessary).
- Facilitate required close out transactions and activities
- Assist with special projects.
Supervisory Responsibilities: May direct the work of lower level support personnel
Proficient with Excel and Word, experience with Redcap, Experience with Qualtrics.
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Proficient use of computers; requires solid working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to create verbal and written reports.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Requisition Number 401495861
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 705 RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 80
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of an Associate's degree program. Training: May be required to take FasTracks in areas of specific assigned duties
Work generally requires two years of relevant experience to obtain office organization, communications, and administrative skills. A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to the specific position may be substituted for the education and experience requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID