Human Resources Director
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
We are seeking a Director of Human Resources to provide strategic leadership and drive key human resources strategies for the School of Engineering. This position will report to the Sr. Associate Dean for Administration and lead a team of five, including three direct reports. As the director, you have robust, generalist experience in leading and implementing key HR functions such as talent acquisition; performance coaching and management; compensation; organizational development; workforce planning; employee and labor relations; and training and employee development. You are pro-active, execute sound judgement, successfully manage change, and influence effectively to find solutions to complex issues. You view ambiguity as an opportunity to create and drive results.
If you thrive working cross-functionally, are able to positively engage and foster a motivating culture, and are passionate about impacting the Stanford legacy, this may be the right opportunity for you!
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic leadership, designing and driving key organizational strategies, policies, recommendations and best practices in all general human resources functions to align with the university’s goals
- Serving as a key advisor and consultant to senior leadership on strategic decision –making solutions, including organizational effectiveness, change management and workforce planning
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously and successfully, including performing needs assessment, process design and improvement, establishing metrics, analyzing and monitoring trends, and providing recommendations
- Directing the talent management strategy to attract, engage, and retain top talent, supporting or leading high level searches, advising on affirmative action objectives and structuring complex offers
- Representing the School of Engineering in university-wide human resources initiatives
- Investigating employee relations issues, recommending, and facilitating effective solutions in alignment with applicable polices and laws; assessing risks and identifying compliance issues; coaching and advising on employee relation issues
- Designing and managing the performance appraisal process and participating in setting organizational objectives and goals
- Managing the salary-setting program and developing implementation guidelines; advising managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; designing incentive and bonus programs
- Overseeing processes and documentation for workers' compensation, disability, leave, workplace accommodation requests, and health and safety issues
- Fostering a performance and results-oriented team through setting expectations, priorities, effective coaching and management practices
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and eight years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Comprehensive experience as a trusted advisor and consultant to senior management on all areas of human resources, strategy, organizational transformation, and organization-wide initiatives while enhancing or driving culture change
- Strong project management, analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recommend and guide data-driven solutions
- Superior facilitation and oral and written communication skills; able to present, persuade, and influence across various audiences
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively cross-functionally. Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with diverse groups, including senior leaders. Ability to use a high level of confidentiality, tact, diplomacy, discretion and empathy
- Proven leadership skills and management courage. Strong supervision/management background in developing organizational talent and inspiring high-performing teams
- Master’s degree
- PHR or SPHR certified, or equivalent certification
- Human Resources experience in an academic environment
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Ourculture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.