Yale Shared Service, Payroll Administrator
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the YSS Payroll Administrator’s focus is as follows: A) Perform all payroll analysis to ensure accuracy of payroll; B) Responsible for validating & monitoring process controls and recommending changes to improve controls; C) Support the Payroll Production Team by serving as Tier 3 Support for all exception processing requests and service requests and serve as a resource to troubleshoot issues; D) support the production team in completing the payroll run; E) Support YSS Tax department as required to ensure compliance with all tax filings/timelines, including quality monitoring to support W2 and 1042S filings.
The Payroll Administrator will be responsible for all payroll adjustments and corrections and subsequent accounting and tax corrections.
- Ensures the processing of all payrolls in accordance with University policy, bargaining agreements, and state and federal regulations. Monitors processes for system errors; investigates and resolves system errors working with the HRIS Workday Payroll Team. Cross trains others to serve as backup resources for the processing of University Payrolls.
- Establishes and maintains the Payroll production schedule.
- Facilitates payroll service issues and exception processing requests; responsible for tracking service issue resolution and reporting outcomes to Payroll and YSS leadership.
- Oversee the schedule input, workers’ compensation input and back pay adjustments calculation and input. Approves access requests and oversees the establishment of access for end users.
- Develops and maintains payroll process checklists and assures accuracy of checklist procedures through all upgrades and customizations of payroll procedures.
- Participates in development of new Workday functionality. Participate in the testing, analysis, and implementation of new and existing Payroll and related HR functionality and enhancements.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for all payroll communications and web activity; works internally with leadership to gain the appropriate sign-offs within YSS and Yale’s Finance and HR Divisions.
- Serves as the primary contact for the off-sight disaster recovery company. Participates as a disaster recovery team member in testing activities. Serves as the backup disaster recovery team Leader. 9.May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and two years of payroll experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience. Familiarity with higher education payroll and Yale University Policies and Procedures.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Highly skilled in analyzing payroll accuracy & payroll processing.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Payroll accounting and tax knowledge.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong background in managing payroll inquires and service requests.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to work well in a team setting.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Familiar with Workday payroll or similar ERP system. Experience processing in-house payroll. Worked in a higher education organization. Background in quality assurance and control. Familiarity with higher education payroll and payroll tax requirements. Working knowledge of Non-resident Taxation and Multi-state taxation. Certified Payroll Professional designation.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.