Photo and Graphics Technician
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Graphic Resources and Mail Services provide the Caltech community with effective solutions for printing, graphics and mail services. We strive to meet and exceed the expectations of the client with respect to quality and reliability.
Graphic Resources functions as a support for faculty, students and staff in their pursuit of the Caltech Mission, “to expand human knowledge and to be a benefit to society through research integrated with education.” We are an on-campus, one-stop shop specializing in high-quality, professional document creation and reproduction. Other services include page layout and design, photographic copy work and large-format presentation production and related services.
The Photo / Graphic Technician handles general responsibilities for the department of Graphic Resources with a primary focus on imaging and graphics related work such as photo restoration, inkjet printing, flatbed scanning, mounting and laminating of large format presentations, and handling passport photo responsibilities. This person will also support reprographic needs such as document scanning, rapid duplicating, and bindery work and will be expected to help on an as-needed basis with customer service and other duties.
The successful applicant will be a motivated self-starter with good communication and organizational skills and be adept at interacting with customers from within the Caltech community as well as the general public. The candidate should be a team player who can handle a fast-paced environment and be willing to support all areas of the department services, which include page layout and design, photographic copy work and large-format presentation production and related services.
- Printing of photos and documents using the Epson 5000 inkjet printer
- Responsible for digital photo manipulation including but not limited to restoration and repair
- Scan both reflective and transparent materials using a flatbed scanner
- Photographic copying of large prints, maps, etc.
- Take passport and l.D. photos
- Assemble/disassemble simple picture frames
- Mount and/or laminate customer originals on GatorBoard, FoamCore and other substrates
- Order supplies and maintain vendor contacts
- Other duties as assigned
- Color correction/file manipulation
- Experience with pixel (raster) and vector based graphics
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a graphics environment
- An awareness of the proper care and handling of original artwork
- Attention to detail
- Physical strength and ability to lift at least 30 lbs. on a daily basis including pushing and pulling boxes of paper reams, printing supplies, pushing carts, plus others
- Must be organized, prompt, reliable, and be able to take direction when needed
- Must be a team player
- Must have a valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record and the ability to maintain it throughout the course of employment
Working knowledge of:
- Photoshop or similar software
- Illustrator or similar software
- Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Office
- Experience and knowledge of both PC and MAC platforms