Starting Salary Range: $50,200-$69,089
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 16-MD:JH at White Marsh
Department name: 10002799-SOM DOM General Admin Chairmans Offf
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Assists in the development of the annual Departmental budget and projection. Responsible for assisting in control of established budgets by overseeing loading of budget (in concert with the Financial Manager), reconciling budget information and changes, and extracting and analyzing financial data to assist in management of the Department’s JHU & JHH operations. Generates monthly financial reports and monitors revenues and expenditures (for various business lines, including, but not limited to designated and discretionary funds, affiliated institution funds, general funds, etc.) against budget. Performs comprehensive financial analysis relating to business or research trends to improve Departmental financial effectiveness and compliance with JHU, JHH and/or agency regulations and restrictions. This position reports to the Sr. Financial Manager
- Manage and oversee the Department’s Control Salary balance. Provide reports each payroll period to DOM leadership. Work with divisions to properly reduce control salary balances and identify and resolve (or work with others to resolve) barriers to reducing control salary balances.
- Prepare and maintain/update inter-entity agreements (IEAs). Ensure Budget Analyst has IEA on record. Assist in year-end reconciliation of IEAs.
- Assist senior staff with preparation of major capital proposals, business plans as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial transactions such as KB15N’s, accruals, journal entries, and non-payroll cost transfers within the Department; serve as backup to Budget Analyst.
- Assists as needed, exception-to-hire forms for JHH DOM positions.
- Compile, prepare and maintain JHH volume trending files.
- Prepare volume reports (ongoing and ad hoc) for performance management monitoring. Review JHH monthly volume reports for accuracy.
- Assist in researching expense and volume variances.
- Complete revenue and expense variance analysis on designated area(s) within the Department as required.
- Seek to resolve any expense posting errors and communicate proper expense allocation as needed.
- Complete monthly reconciliation of Outpatient Operations Division accounts (and other designated accounts/programs, as specified).
- Assists, as needed with the Outpatient Operations Division and Pulmonary Function Test areas.
- Monitor revenues and expenditures throughout the budgetary period and identify and communicate expenditures concerns to appropriate administrative leaders.
- Conduct variance analysis as designated for accounts/programs within the Department. Analyze variances through MedVitals, SAP or other applicable financial reporting system.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions with direction (as necessary) from others. Must be able to interpret technical and detailed guidelines, policies and procedures, as well as explain or describe moderately complex information and presentation materials.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of the Department’s JHH and JHU budget and reprojection templates.
- Assist in preparation of Department’s annual operating budget.
- Coordinates seasonalization and MedVitals budget load for JHU and JHH budget.
- Responsible for completing both the annual reprojection and budget file for designated programs
- Coordinate the creation of inter-entity agreement budgets for each fiscal year.
- Prepare JHH cost accounting (EPSi) summary reports for each month.
- Use Datamart (via MS Access) to obtain patient, billing and cost data for use in financial and operational analysis.
- Assist in updating/preparing Departmental dashboard and executive summary.
- As assigned, generate and distribute monthly reports and create new reports to improve monitoring of revenues/expenses within the Department.
- Ensure expenditures for budgets are monitored and reports are prepared to maintain balanced accounts.
- Work requires analytical competency in order to gather and interpret data, as well as proficiency with financial reporting systems to build reports.
- Maintain/update financial section of the Department’s SharePoint site.
- Serve as backup for the preparation and processing of online check requests, travel reimbursements, employee reimbursements, purchase orders, check deposits and gift donations.
- Responsible for accurate data entry.
- Demonstrate ability for self-direction and initiation, as well as ability to work independently and as part of a team, to address problems/tasks.
- Must be organized and able to appropriately prioritize responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Arrive at work on time and is prepared to assist coworkers, faculty, and both internal and external customers at the beginning of his/her workday.
- Regularly interact with Sr. Financial Manager, Departmental Finance/Administrative team, and Divisional finance staff.
- Assists in improving/building efficient models.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports. Apply multi-application and integration techniques in computer systems to develop end user data sets and reports for financial decision making.
- Design financial reports utilizing the institution’s accounting systems and assist in the dissemination of information in various formats—including MedVitals, automated email reports and server-based data repositories—to key stakeholders.
- Responsible to import various data and create database and spreadsheet reports for financial analysis. Collaborate in the design of automated reporting tools, such as web-based management reporting systems (MedVitals), for financial, payroll, research, and clinical practice systems for various users and roles in the DOM.
- Assist others with statistical, cost and financial analysis of data reported in various information systems. Create financial reports for the Administration and divisions within the DOM. Assist with the development of financial reports for forecasting, trending, and results analysis.
Customer Service & Teamwork:
- Is courteous and pleasant in person and on the telephone with coworkers, patients, visitors, and supervisors. Utilizes proper telephone etiquette.
- Serve as a representative of the Department of Medicine outside of the confines of the Departmental office space.
- Function as a team player and works to maintain harmonious working relationships with coworkers, peers and supervisors.
- Recognize where coworkers need assistance and take initiative to help.
- Assist in the training of new hires throughout the Department as needed.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Has high level of accountability for identifying, solving and following up on financial and other decision support matters in which position is involved.
- Know the formal and informal departmental goals, standards, policies and procedures that may include some familiarity of other departments within the school/division.
- Is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the department.
- Know the role of the position and its potential impact on the working unit.
- Carry out duties and responsibilities with limited supervision and at the direction of senior team members. Make decisions and establish work priorities on procedure-oriented operations.
- Understand management question being asked and develop an analysis necessary to address the question (or appropriately modify the question so that the results are useful for decision-making).
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or related field.
- Minimum three years progressively responsible related financial experience required.
- Advanced knowledge of SAP accounting system practice and implementation within the Hopkins environment desirable.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Additional finance-related education may substitute for some experience.
- Proficient knowledge of spreadsheets and word processing required. Knowledge of financial software applications (namely, SAP) and database utilization/management preferred.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Occasionally lifting, carrying objects weighing 10lbs. or less.
- Occasionally pushing, pulling objects weighing 30lbs. or less.
- Ability to move about.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: