Multimedia Specialist, SSRI
Social Science Research Institute
The Social Science Research Institute (SSRI) is the interdisciplinary social science research institute of Duke University. SSRI brings together researchers with interests in problems that cross the various social and behavioral sciences, including problems that connect with the humanities and natural sciences. We promote multidisciplinary collaboration among such scholars as they work on important social issues that are challenging to address fully from within any given discipline.
This position provides support for SSRI including marketing, event planning, social media and communications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain professional contacts and affiliations with the local and national news media to promote the dissemination of news and publicity related to assigned areas.
- Design various publications such as fliers and posters for print and online advertisements according to budgetary and schedule requirement. Collaborate with team members on messaging and design. This may include, but is not limited to, the design or modification of existing materials using design software.
- Create ads and maintain SSRI digital screens and ensure display ads are sent to appropriate departments on campus.
- Publicize Institute events through newspaper, flyer advertisements, Internet calendars, email listservs.
- Implement social media initiatives.Build capacity via social media outlets.
- Identify synergies with other social science initiatives. Identify new trends and opportunities appropriate for SSRI participation. Engage current students and researchers to connect and participate in social media platforms.
- Take photos for events, websites, publications, etc.
- Create video projects for use on Web and social media. Includes filming, editing and posting.
- Write interest stories, press releases, and/or highlights on Bass Connections (Education and Human Development theme), researchers and faculty.
- Update web content for SSRI site as well as various project and affiliate sites.
- Manage small projects including the development of brochures and folders. Coordinate post design printing services; research vendors; obtain quotes; follow up on ordering, receipt, and payment process; work with publications/copy center on announcements, etc.
- Maintain communications database, listservs, mailing lists, etc.
- Promote and participate in SSRI information sessions and other recruiting efforts.
- Provideadministrative and logistical support of SSRI events including workshops, seminars, meetings, and activities as well as to the communications team.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Undergraduate degree preferred with coursework in design, marketing, or communications desired. Must demonstrate strong project support skills as well as refined written and oral communication skills. Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Proficiency in technology, including web-based programs, presentation hardware, etc. Solid writing skills and attention to detail. Proficiency in social media tools. Skills in digital photography and videography. Must possess strong and creative communication (oral and written), and customer service skills. Must be comfortable networking in-person, via phone and technology. Strong initiative, creativity, and attention to detail.
EXPERIENCE Requires four years of experience in journalism, public relations, marketing, design or related field with experience posting and publishing through print and electronic mediums. Successful candidate will possess a willingness to take initiative and be proactive. Must possess the ability to work independently, as well as in teams. Experience working in an academic environment is preferred. Work requires strong oral and written communications skills, including editing abilities. The ability to understand academic research and translate it for a lay audience is crucial. Experience with Digital Photography, Drupal, WordPress, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, and social media platforms are preferred.
Requisition Number 401496169
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 233 MULTIMEDIA SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 09
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires college training equivalent to non-technical Bachelor's degree or Associate's degree in mathematics or computer science or equivalent technical training.
Work generally requires one year of experience as a multimedia specialist or related position to acquire competency in the maintenance and repair of multimedia equipment and services. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID