Director, Community Engagement and Advancement
OFFICE OF THE DEAN
Director of Community Engagement and Advancement
The Fuqua School of Business
The Director of Community Engagement and Advancement reports to the Dean at the Fuqua School of Business and is responsible for working collaboratively with the leadership team across all programs and with key partners across the school, the university, and externally.
The role includes working closely with the Admissions area on recruiting as well as with the staff of Student Life and the Career Management Center (CMC) on the student experience.
The role may also include activities that connect with additional stakeholders such as our boards, alumni, and external partners.
Collaborate with leadership across the school to develop and implement a strategic action plan to:
- Work with the admissions team to increase the outreach, recruitment, and matriculation of students to Fuqua, especially those from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in business (underrepresented minority and female students). This outreach should include coordinating with admissions and assisting in planning and executing recruiting and yield events and activities.
- Support in delivering student services that attend to the needs and promote the academic success of underrepresented students.
- Work collaboratively with school and university colleagues to develop a school-wide culture that exemplifies a shared value for community, and that provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment for all students. One area of support here includes working with the office of student life at Fuqua on education and support related to University Title IX initiatives and compliance.
- Stay current on and document policies, laws, and legal matters that relate to diversity recruitment. Educate the broader Fuqua staff on these.
- Work with Admissions and Marketing to develop and implement effective communication strategies, web and interactive media, and marketing and promotional collateral materials that can be used for recruiting and community building. Ensure that the key messages with respect to diversity initiatives are appropriately positioned and integrated, and that the specific needs of diverse audiences are considered and met.
- Work cooperatively with department leaders to follow-up with prospective and newly admitted students from underrepresented groups.
- If needed, help admissions evaluate applications and participate in committee selection processes.
- Help develop and deliver pre-MBA program to promote access to business education and assist the matriculation of students from non-traditional and underrepresented populations. Work collaboratively with other University areas and community organizations as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with Development and Alumni Relations to reinforce connections with alumni and develop and execute plans to maximize corporate relationships and build a network of corporate involvement with mutual benefit to the school, students and alumni.
- Benchmark Fuqua’s diversity initiatives against activities at other nationally-ranked programs.
- Effectively manage the fiscal resources allocated to community initiatives. Prepare an annual budget proposal and manage area expenditures relative to the approved financial allocation.
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with key staff members in appropriate areas, provide appropriate levels of support to student programs, and participate as an active partner in efforts to provide service to a diverse student body.
Candidates should have a record of experience that aligns with the expectations of the role and how the role is performed within the culture, resources, and capabilities of Fuqua. Key personal attributes include exceptional interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills (both written and oral), experience working with and/or serving diverse populations, and a demonstrated commitment to fostering inclusive communities.
Expected experience includes work demonstrating the ability to be successful in the Director role at Fuqua, which will center around involvement in community engagement and diversity and inclusion initiatives. While experience in higher education will be considered favorably, industry experience will be considered if experience includes relevant recruiting or diversity programming.
A MBA or another advanced degree is required.
The successful candidate will also need to have the ability to travel regularly and work evenings and weekends, as required
Requisition Number 401497177
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 2717 DIR, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & ADVANCEMENT
Job Family Level 15
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
A MBA or another advanced degree is required.
Work requires 7 years of relevant experience.
Auto req ID