Financial Analyst Senior
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Medicine is seeking a financial analyst to work with administrative and financial data sets, including research, facilities, tuition/enrollment, financial and human resource systems, to support analyses of business operations, strategic initiatives, and leadership support. The financial analyst will join the Medical School Finance team, a key financial contact and business advisor for customers within the Medical School’s executive administration departments, academic departments, and operating units. This service delivery model will involve multiple interactions with UMHS leadership, departmental customers and peer analysts on a broad array of projects.
The analyst will be expected to solve resource issues and propose options when there are conflicts. Ideal candidates are adaptable and willing to take on a broad variety of additional tasks to improve operational efficiency, make or prepare presentations to internal or external groups, and other duties as assigned, functioning with a high degree of independence and minimal day-to-day supervision to deliver projects in a timely and effective manner.
This job might be right for you if…
- Using data and analytics to support business decisions and financial analysis sounds exciting
- You are skilled in identifying, analyzing, and interpreting trends or patterns in complex data sets
- You enjoy problem solving and making new discoveries
- You thrive in fast paced working environments
- Working in ambiguity and creating business solutions that are novel to the organization sounds stimulating
- You pay attention to detail and do not let anything fall through the cracks. As far as you are concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every time
- You can thrive while working in both team and individual settings
- You are adaptable to changing conditions and you maintain a high level of focus/energy
- You feel comfortable offering support and expressing ideas to leadership
- You make the customer your number one priority in any situation
As a Financial Analyst, a typical day will likely include:
- Preparing reports, presentations and correspondence related to financial project work, financial analysis, and department, unit, and center or institute performance assessment
- Participating in multidisciplinary teams evaluating strategic, operational and financial aspects of the academic enterprise
- Facilitating exceptional customer service delivery to departmental and leadership contacts
- Participating in special projects to improve reporting, analysis, and internal processes to achieve productivity improvements and enhanced customer service delivery
- Working with complex data sets, synthesizing and summarizing results to allow for the identification of key issues, decision-making criteria, and the determination of strategies
- Analyzing data to support strategic financials, business case development, and provide leadership support through ad hoc and recurring reporting and communication
- Designing, developing and recommending new approaches, methodologies and tools for data driven decision making and planning
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or related field
- Ability to build client relationships, function as a member of a team, and demonstrate initiative
- Experience in financial reporting, analysis, and management
- Ability to adapt knowledge, learn quickly, and handle multiple work streams simultaneously
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines
- Knowledge of and/or experience in Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel)
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written), and the ability to analyze large amounts of complex information to present simple and concise material to the appropriate audience
0-2 years professional experience
2-5 years professional experience
5-8 years professional experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in an analytical role
- Experience in healthcare, higher education and/or academic medical center setting
- Experience in Business Objects, PeopleSoft, Oracle, and/or Hyperion
- Experience working across multiple functions (finance, IT, HR, Student, Research, etc.) and demonstrated success in quickly developing appropriate domain knowledge from each to support more robust solutions
- Ability to complete complex analytical, consultative and information support through analysis and report preparation
- Ability in problem analyses, methodology development, technical execution, and development of recommendations
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. With annual revenues of approximately $3 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the Hospitals, Health Centers and Clinics, the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, and the Michigan Health Corporation.
Health System Finance serves as the central finance group for Michigan Medicine and is comprised of six functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting & Forecasting, Academic Financial Planning & Analysis, Medical School Administration Finance, Reimbursement, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.