Professor, Associate Professor in Educational Leadership
A permanent position is available at the Department of Teacher Education and School Research (ILS) for a Professor/Associate professor in the subject area of educational leadership. The position is linked to the master program in Educational Leadership, which is offered as a part-time program and qualifies for leadership and development positions in the educational sector. The master program is taught in Norwegian and covers 120 ECTS, equivalent to two years full time study, cf. http://www.uv.uio.no/ils/english/studies/programmes/master/ The positions may also include teaching in in-service-education for school leaders offered by ILS.
We welcome applicants with knowledge of practices, trends, and research in educational leadership, governance and reform. The successful candidate is expected to apply this understanding in student-centered, inquiry-driven, problem-oriented degree programs; and to participate actively in the collective development of the education programs.
In addition, it is expected that the successful candidate contributes to the Department’s research through participation in the research group “Curriculum Studies, Leadership and Educational Governance” (CLEG). Key questions addressed are positioned among education policy, public administration, and pedagogy, in which studies of educational reform and leadership in Nordic compulsory and upper secondary education are central. We welcome research on the connections between technological developments, educational practices, and governance, and how leadership is distributed in the organization, as well as research on educational leadership in culturally diverse environments.
More information about research topics covered by CLEG can be found on the research group’s website: http://www.uv.uio.no/english/research/groups/cleg/index.html.
- Contribution to the development of the field of Educational Leadership
- Contribution to the research group CLEG with the aim of publishing in national and international journals
- Participation in national and international research networks
- Participation in planning, teaching, coaching and supervision in the master program in Educational Leadership as well as in the National Principal Education Program and in in-service education for school leaders
- Develop the educational quality of the study programs
- Research dissemination
- External fund raising
- Administrative tasks
- Professor: PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in the subject area or other areas relevant to Educational Leadership. In addition and according to guidelines, an extensive production of academic publications is required. The research must be of high quality and demonstrate academic breadth and depth, and also reflect an independent research profile and show the applicant’s ability to address novel issues.
- Associate Professor: PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in the subject areas relevant to Educational Leadership
- Documented research competence linked to the field of Educational Leadership
- Documented scientific competence as Professor or as Associate Professor
- Experience and interest in the development of the field of Educational Leadership
- Capacity to raise funds and lead scientific research projects on a national and international level
- Documented knowledge of and familiarity with the Norwegian and Scandinavian Educational Systems
- Ability and commitment to teaching
- Formal teaching qualifications
- Proficiency in Norwegian or one of the other Scandinavian Languages
- Proficiency in English, spoken and written
- Personal suitability and motivation
The criteria that will be considered are the applicant’s academic, professional and pedagogical qualifications, leadership and administrative qualifications, and personal qualifications including Norwegian, Swedish or Danish and English proficiency.
In the ranking of applicants, the whole range of qualifications will be considered and assessed, including communication skills and personal suitability for the position.
- Salary NOK 670000 - 802600 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Professor ( position code 1013)
- Salary NOK 576100 - 658300 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Associate professor (position code 1011)
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
- The opportunity to apply for promotion to full professorship at a later stage only pertains to employment as Associate Professor
How to apply
The application must include:
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (complete list of education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, project acquisition and coordination experience, and other qualifying activities)
- A complete list of publications
- Academic works. Applicants for a professor position are requested to submit up to 15 academic works and applicants for a position as associate professor are requested to submit up to 10 academic works; in addition to documentation of other relevant qualifications
- PhD Diploma
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Interviews will be used in the appointment process, and applicants will also be required to give a trial lecture.
The successful candidate who at the time of appointment cannot document basic teaching qualifications will be required to obtain such qualifications within a two-year period.
The successful candidate must demonstrate mastery of both English and one of the Scandinavian languages as working languages. If an appointee is not fluent in a Scandinavian language, the appointee will be expected within a two-year period to learn sufficient Norwegian to be able to participate actively in all functions the position may involve.
Please see the rules for Appointments to Professorships and Associate Professorships and Rules for the assessment and weighting of pedagogical competence.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
Professor Jorunn Møller, phone number: +47 22857618, mobil +47 95901843, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Department Rita Hvistendahl, phone number: +47 22844030, mobil +47 97128718, e-mail: email@example.com