LAN Administrator III
Starting Salary Range: $58,695.00 - $62,500.00
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: East Baltimore Campus
Department Name: IT Operations
Personnel Area: School of Public Health
The Department of Information Technology is seeking a LAN Administrator III. Under general direction, performs the development of server hardware configuration, meets with customer base; sets up and manages system monitoring tools; sets up automatic software distribution packages; involved in testing, investigating, recommendation, and implementation tools to support environment.
Supports, installs, maintains, and troubleshoots all LAN devices and related software for branch offices as well as internal and external networks. Supports, operates, and maintains the Commvault backup system, including rotation of tapes for offsite backup, and verification of routine backups to disk. Collaborates on the upgrade, maintenance, and testing of the disaster recovery plan.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues with backup systems.
- Troubleshoots and resolves desktop PC/Macintosh issues, server issues, as related to LAN.
- Performs critical thinking to evaluate and resolve technical or procedural problems.
- Has regular contact with vendors to solve application or operating system issues.
- Assists in creation of complex functional and procedural guides and white papers; assists others to prepare on-call documentation.
- Reviews by proofreading and correcting documentation standards; changes/maintains documentation, learning to critique life-cycle documents.
- Uses standard Operating Systems utilities.
- Makes optimum use of the Operating Systems.
- Has strong knowledge of anti-spyware/anti-virus tools.
- Teaches others to present issues to management in a timely manner.
- Deals with differences and negotiates/mediates to resolve conflicts.
- Describes technical issues to non-technical groups.
- With little assistance, this position should be able to schedule meetings to resolve technical issues.
- May participate as a member of a project for school-wide assignments or as a project lead for a large assignment.
- Documents plans.
- Directs others in data gathering and analysis and server utilization and load balancing.
- Writes sophisticated scripts.
- Teaches others to be proficient in the use of the operating system specific file editors.
- Proficient in the use of debugging tools and strong understanding of popular software titles.
- Sets and meets target dates; support application development team through lifecycle of projects.
- Develops task estimates including costs and requirements.
- Works with customers and technical staff to define requirements, creates forms, reports, and screens.
- Teaches others to develop and perform test plans. Able to report on test results and evaluate outcome.
- Keeps all groups informed of project progress, produce critical path reports and completed task reports. Maintains contact with outside organizations in the maintenance, service and/or purchase of the LAN.
- Trains technical and/or user staff in work process and competencies. Tracks status of projects progress and reports status to Manager and/or Architect. Interviews candidates for technical ability.
- Will be required to work off hours as needed in support of changes of the environment as well as on-call responsibilities.
- Two years college coursework.
- Five years related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for experience, and additional experience may substitute for education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- BS in Computer Science (or related field)
- 7+ years of related experience
- Experience working in an educational environment
- Certified Technology Specialist (CTS)
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
- Apple ACMT or ACTC
- CompTIA Security+
- Project Management for AV
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to think and act independently.
- Proven history of developing innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Support and manage department servers and applications running on those servers.
- Significant experience with supporting and operating enterprise data backup systems.
- Typically the person who has accountability and responsibility to take down the system.
- Makes independent decisions, e.g., configuration, server platforms, operating systems, how to partition.
- Sit – 85%
- Walk – 10%
- Stand – 5%
- May be required to unpack, lift, and install computer equipment
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: