Production Controller/Production Coordinator
Starting Salary Range: $42,255.60 - $58,040.16 per year
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5:00 p.m
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000123-Books Design and Production
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
General Job Description
Senior staff position as Production Controller for up to 120 new book and reprint titles per year. Project manager of digital workflow of edited manuscripts for design and to typesetters; route text, jacket, and art copy and proofs; post final files to printers; and distribute advanced books copies within the Books division. Responsible for daily electronic schedule updates, instruct vendors, confirm specifications and print runs, and issue purchase orders. Optional: Selected cover designs and text design supervision to assist Art Director. Position reports to the Design and Production Manager.
- Manage production of half of new books and 1st time paperbacks, along with reprint titles as assigned by the Design & Production Manager, by working with designers, compositors, printers, and in-house personnel.
- Monitor and update the database schedules to keep the projects timely and on budget.
- Communicate regularly with internal and external companies and individuals.
- Review and internally route printed sheets, digital book proofs, art proofs, jackets and color proofs from printers.
- Clearly instruct vendors on desired changes requested.
- Assists the Art Director as needed, including modifying 8-10 format text design titles a season, sizing accompanying art, and reviewing text and art proofs; and also new and revised edition cover designs.
Factors Important in this Position
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Macintosh, Outlook, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat skills; will train to use Filemaker database.
- At least two years experience in print production management and design.
- This position requires communication across the Books division to set, hold, and anticipate book publication schedules and issues, while maintaining quality (including file printability) with designers, book compositors, and printers.
Degree of Independent Action Performed on the Job:
- Proven ability to initiate and work independently and collaboratively
- Plan, prioritize, and meet multiple deadlines
- Work with minimum supervision in a busy department.
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the Job:
- The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to work and communicate effectively with peers and senior staff at the Press as well as with outside vendor customer service and sales representatives.
- This position requires teamwork and relationship building with people both inside and outside the Press.
- Internal: daily coordination with Books Editing, Acquisitions, Marketing, and our warehouse fulfillment division.
- External: daily coordination with typesetters, production services, printers, and freelance designers.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: